A different oil leak...diff seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different oil leak...diff seal?

Spotted a nice new patch of oil on the drive today. wiped a finger in it and was still oil coloured, not black, as any oil that goes into the engine becomes straight away!
    So I'm thinking it's diff oil. here's the pics. notice on the second pic the oil is more obvious only halfway up the shaft - ie if the leak was from above, there would be oil all over that part?
    The old leaks - turbo oil feed and bottom of bell housing are bone dry. only oil is on the diff (off side) between the diff and half shaft. is there a seal in there?

"B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Check that the diff breather isn't blocked.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Check that the diff breather isn't blocked.
      Will do...
      (might make sense as I have been through a few muddy puddles recently....)

erm, how do I do that?
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Unscrew it from the top of the diff (12mm or 10mm spanner?)and make sure you can blow through it. (From the threaded end obviously)

Comment

Cool. Make sense.
          Just read through this
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64777 quite simple really. (when one bothers to search!)
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

14mm spanner for reference.
            I'm beginning to think rachet ring spanners might be a good investment for these trucks...
            It was covered in crud - Oil/Mud mix from the last 15 years no doubt. The breather worked fine once I had taken it off. Yet to see if any different or if any more oil drops - need to get it up to temp I assume, and haven't been far today.
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
            X