Why 2 batteries? Will 1 do??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why 2 batteries? Will 1 do??

Hi - I'm facing the prospect of having to replace both batteries on the truck and becoming almost unwell at the likely-hood of having to shell out nearly £200 for that privilege (Scottish highlands parts suppliers on premium markup prices). Could I just replace one of the batteries and patch across the connector leads from the second battery? I do know that the 2 batteries are related to Japanese enthusiasm for electrical toys in their trucks, but surely a single battery would be ok for 'normal' use?
    Anyone suggest a reasonably priced battery source, for on-line purchase?

best....keith
    Ahhh....skinned knuckles and heavy hammers...

These are fine, with next day delivery...

Comment

Surf Batteries

And these........ a little more expensive for genuine Toyota....but OK as I have tried them.

regards

Andy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-HILUX...item3cc48867b4

Comment

One standard sized battery won't provide enough umph to turn my 3.0 over. Its all about the Ah output. You'd need a bigger battery if going single i would assume...
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Thanks guys.... I wondered about the current drain on the starter and although the truck usually starts, it's obviously putting a heavy load on the batteries. I need about 2 'revolutions' on the starter and it fires up, but if I miss it first time the starter solenoid just clicks a few times and dies. I had thought that one battery was maybe dedicated to starting and the other for ancillaries, but maybe I'll have to get the pair. On the cell/load tester, both batteries are showing up as 'good', although overnight the voltage drops to around 12.3v from the normal 14v when fully charged.

Thanks also for the links to lower cost battery sources (I won't say cheap, as that don't go with batteries these days)....k

Comment

The dual batteries are part of the "cold weather" package, not all of them came with 2 batteries I don't believe. I also had to replace both of mine last year, the expense sucked, but it's nice never having to worry about them being dead when you need them.
            '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Yes, your probably right, but I'm feeling a bit 'skint' at present and looking for cheap solutions to everything! Maybe I could buy a heavy duty truck battery for £70 and just carry it around in the back of the truck with a spare set of jump leads. Not very stylish, and a bit of a rigmarole every morning, but it's only the cold start in the morning that's the problem and it fires up fine all through the day. Yeah, I'm a cheapskate..... keith

Comment

Have you tried charging the current batteries? Maybe they are simply run down from short trips?
                '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

my 3rd gen has only one battery, works 100% any weather, so should be convertable
                  Last edited by Kpauto; 17 April 2012, 07:50.

Comment

You could always go with one big battery this year initially (1000 cold cranking amps) and you can then buy the second battery next year. At that time you can decide whether to hook them together or leave as two seperate batteries (one big, one small)

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X