filled my diesel with petrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filled my diesel with petrol

after using my petrol car for months on end i went and filled my 2nd gen surf with petrol. only just figured this out when i took off the filter and realised that is why she had cut out on me. it was nearly empty when i filled it and so the result is a full tank of unleaded. I will be emptying it tomorrow evening and changing the filter. any body have any advice or tips that would help ? also any body think anything will be damaged as it cut out at 80mph on the m-way. stupid mistake i know but hope its only going to have cost me the tank of fuel and new filter. where can i dispose of the slightly cut petrol as i dont think its wise to put it in the car ? thanks guys.

The fuel you take out use it for mowers or strimmers instead
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
      The fuel you take out use it for mowers or strimmers instead
      or use it to thin down veg oil...
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

The fuel injection pump and the injectors are lubricated by the diesel fuel and are machined to fine tolerances @ 3 microns. Hopefully you'll be lucky? But the worse way a real head ache.

Comment

A london taxi driver mate told me when the do the yearly 'overhaul' on the old FX4r taxis they run through a bit of petrol to clean them out.

Comment

Few mechanics - one from Toyota told me some people fill the tank 1/2 with petrol to clean the system from diesel residuals, that benefit injector system pipes and tank
            ..perhaps 100% petrol cause some damages only if you use it for long, I am not sure

Comment

Originally posted by freewheel View Post
              Few mechanics - one from Toyota told me some people fill the tank 1/2 with petrol to clean the system from diesel residuals, that benefit injector system pipes and tank
              ..perhaps 100% petrol cause some damages only if you use it for long, I am not sure
              Why bother?
              The op needs to drain the tank then put some diesel in loosen some of the injector pipes off and crank it over without waiting for the glow plug sequence ,do this a couple of times then tighten the injector pipes then try to start.
              May be a bit lumpy but will clear.
              Then he should change the fuel filter.
              This has been covered in more detail on the forum.

I very much doubt my surf would run on 50/50 petrol diesel.
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                or use it to thin down veg oil...
                Thats what I'd do
                Everything happens for a reason, and only one way....
                The way it does!

Comment

So just empty the petrol out the old filter and fill with diesel and change to new one after its running, thanks

Comment

shes alive, thank god for that.it was a battle but we one in the end just as the battery was near on dead. only problem is the hand break light is now stuck on for some reason, any ideas ?

Comment

check you havent knocked off a small vaccum hose in the engine bay
                      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

The hand break isn't actually on its just the light that's staying on ?

Comment

Working...
                        X