Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Tinting For Surf's

Hi all

Wanted to get windows tinted (DIY) for the coming warm weather & sunshine ha, ha!! Anyone got some good ideas where to start & or tips n advice?

Many thanks

Submission?...Now that's a bit of a problem.

Jason have ya scrolled down to the foot of the page there are some old posts there ....
    Good Luck

10+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

A good tip is never to eat yellow snow.

A more relevent one is don't expect the rear window to ever go perfectly. It has 2 different curved surfaces, so the film doesn't lie flat, (very easily). A lot of pushing and pulling will get you there, but be careful not to tear the film with your efforts.

After an hour or so wrangling with mine, I thought it was as good as it could get, I stepped back, only to find and inch long hair stuck on the glass in between the film, right in the middle. Have a guess if i took it all back off or not...

Well that was a year or so ago. The rear window goes up and down probably ten times a day, every day, and it has started ripping the film off. But to be fair, for a tenner, delivered from bulgaria off eb@y, its not done too badly.

All depends what quality you want. There's a reason tint shops charge a lot....
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

done window tinting for the last 13 years as a business. its not easy the first time you do it.
        you need soapy water,spray water bottle, blade, rubber spatula, hot air gun, a lot of patience, swear box, ear plugs for your kids, and a bench to cry.
        when i do the side windows i don't need to remove them glass (can do, but its too much work)spray the water, and i make sure the film i need to remove later is facing out, cut it to size, if it lays flat its ok you don't need to heat with the gun
        (the heat gun is for a control melt of the film to get the shape of the window,never use left to right, or vice versa, always up or down, normally done in back windows)
        clean the window very well, i use an old tooth brush to clean around the rubber of the window, and when you are happy with it spray again soapy water on the window, and on the film, after you removed the clear film, then put it on the window, squeeze the water out with the spatula, it may help a bit of heat with the air gun, just be careful with it
        its a real pain in the a**e when you want to do it first time, but with practice goes quicker
        my first time took me 2 days to finish one car, now i can do it in 2h.
        hope this help
        the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Cut the film and 'stick' to the outside of the tailgate glass, backing film side facing you, then apply heat with a hairdryer or heat gun and using a plastic scraper or old credit card to 'mould' it to the contours of the glass.
          Then trim around the edges with a scalpel or blade as close to the edges as possible, then remove the backing film at the same time spraying with soapy water, lift off the glass and apply to the inside of the window using soapy water and squeegee out from the centre of the window to the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Cut the film and 'stick' to the outside of the tailgate glass, backing film side facing you, then apply heat with a hairdryer or heat gun and using a plastic scraper or old credit card to 'mould' it to the contours of the glass.
            Then trim around the edges with a scalpel or blade as close to the edges as possible, then remove the backing film at the same time spraying with soapy water, lift off the glass and apply to the inside of the window using soapy water and squeegee out from the centre of the window to the edges.
            Aha...THAT sounds like a plan. might even try it once I've done last year's mods - new oil in viscous fan and steering stabiliser I bought back in october....
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Hey everyone

Thank you soo much for all your input, soundz like a lovely job

Never one to shy away from a challenge me, my mrs can vouch for that-I married her! boom, boom
              Submission?...Now that's a bit of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
                Hey JC if i supply the paella and sangria will you help do the windows on MRs Ts bugundy? at some stage not urgent but next time your around? i got the film already, maybe if you want we can do your lift at the same time? in my new workshop
                showing off yeap can do, do you know if nick is around? i rang a few times and no success
                the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Hi jbriers,
                  Just seen your location. I have seen you around and about fairly regularly. I have the blue/silver Gen 3 which trundles around the Ottery area - usually with my Mrs driving.
                  It has a new feature at the moment as an old lady reversed her Honda Jazz into it at speed while stopped in Tipton yesterday. Small dent inthe front bumper and plastic bit beneath. Glad I'm not paying the bill for the Honda!
                  If you want any hepl with the windows let me know but I have never done it before either!
                  Cheers,
                  Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X