yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wont Cold Start without Pumping Throttle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wont Cold Start without Pumping Throttle!

Hi chaps

during this cold spell, our kzn130 has become increasingly difficult to get going in the morning, and now won't even try without furious pumping of the throttle!

we have had a new Milner Head set within the last 2k, new NGK glow plugs, new batteries,

glow plug relay and circuit is doing its job, holds voltage on the plug rail for a good 15-20 seconds before clicking off, but any amount of glowplug assistance doesn't seem to change things when left overnight.

feels more like a fuel issue, but where to start?

once running, perfect all day, running and starting, no problem,

just won't start without loads of turning over and pumping the gas pedal when cold from overnight stand.

please help

shrew
    Last edited by shrewiside; 20 February 2012, 10:17.

Pumping the throttle pedal won't do anything, it doesn't have a carburetor.

If you're sure the glowplugs are OK and there's plenty of life in the batteries then it's possibly a fuel issue.
    Try pumping the primer until it goes hard then try and start the engine as normal to see if it starts easier.

Comment

Fuel filter leaking (pressure) can you pump the black knob on the bulk head - is it soft or hard? Do you park facing up a big hill?

Try pumping this untill it is hard and then try and start it.

eta
      err yeah like wot he said ^^^
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

There a Parrot in here ??

10+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

"it doesn't have a carburetor"

yeah, thanks for that!

might be on to something about the filter primer pump,

if left long enough, it does get softer, which must mean that it leaking back somehow, yes?

if tomorrow morning after being stood all night, its very easy to pump,

then i pump it till its hard (ooerrr!) and it starts better, where do i go from there?

there are no obvious external leaks, never been any diesel on the floor or anything, drive is flat by the way, so where is it passing a seal, or could it be the fuel fliter seal itself letting the pressure out?

shrew

off to re-jet my carb! ha ha!

Comment

I had the same problem, replaced the fuel filter and the problem went away...

Check the distributor cap as well, there might be a loose lead somewhere.
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

so what conclusion did you come too?

air leak on the fuel filter seal, allowing it to de-pressurise over several hours?

Comment

Originally posted by shrewiside View Post
                so what conclusion did you come too?
                air leak on the fuel filter seal, allowing it to de-pressurise over several hours
                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

ok,

i did the filter primer this morning for its first start,

pumped it until had, started first turn of the key, yippee!

i've now got to just trace where the pressure is now leaking from?

fuel filter first then eh, thank you wolfracer, right track for sure.

cheers

shrew

Comment

It is probably the actual primer itself that's faulty.The primer membrane has probably ripped and by pumping it up it will start till next time
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thinking back, I think mine went at the time I was using a lot of (%age wise) veg oil... if that matters, maybe the seals had gone hard. either way, stopping the veg and replacing the filter worked in my case.
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Hi all again

i think we've found the pressure leak,

it is the from the injector pump, evidenced because when we hand pump the fuel filter priming pump it starts to get wet on top of the injector pump, firstly from around the big 30mm boss sensor/switch thing, two cable connection on it, right on top (what is that?)

there could be more leaks from it further down, but its definitely that area, so whats the repair,

is there a seal kit available for KZN130?

i've found plenty of 2.4 ln130 seal kits, but not one for mine yet,

any advise????

cheers

shrew

Comment

Speed sensor. It has an o-ring inside the top cover so you have to do both. Remove top cover to do o-ring. Same size o-ring for the 2.4 and 3ltr as far as i know. There is info on kits here but I don't think o-ring is in the kits. Size for it is on the site somewhere.

Nev

Comment

Thanks chaps

all done now, yippeee!

just in time too, as the seal started to pee' out!

10 minutes to do it, and an o'ring out of a MultiSize Kit fitted perfectly, so cost me nothing either,

thems the repairs we like eh!

cheers

thanks again

shrew

Comment

Well done Shrew and glad you got it sorted
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X