Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 Tailgate Door Rubber Shroud

Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone,
    Can anyone please advice me on the removal/replacement of the rubber shroud/hood that protects the wiring loom from the tailgate door (picture attached). Mine has a large split where it meets the tailgate door and has been okay until recently and is now starting to let water into the truck. It appears as though someone has tried to silicone repair the area in the past, am I right in saying that the rubber is one complete piece and the rigid plastic holder central to the rubber is there just to keep the rubber in position?, or is there an electrical connector within the plastic box?. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Attached Files

The rubber boot is one piece.
    To replace it you'll need to unplug everything in the tailgate and pull the wiring back through the hole. Then feed all the plugs and wiring back through the new boot, then back through the hole into the tailgate and reconnected everything.
    Even better would be to use some heatshrink as well to seal the loom to the new boot.
    That is the only sure way of stopping water ingress.
    The rigid plastic sleeve is just a holder for the loom.

Comment

Thanks for info. I contacted my local Toyota dealership this morning, they can supply a new rubber shroud however they are saying that it is part of a small wiring loom and is not available separately, the quote was £126.90, I think a tube of sealant is in order.

Comment

Something like a bicycle inner tube cut to size and then sealed with a bit of heat shrink either end would protect the cables. Then sealant.

Comment

Working...
        X