X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antifreeze

hi
    just changed my antifreeze.
    but after reading a thread on here were it said the 3L.TD kzn130 takes between 9 and 10 litres i bought 5 litres for a 50/50 mix.
    flushed the system through but with the hosepipe in the top rad hose water was only coming out of the bottom rad hose very slow but i put this down to the little hole in the thermostat limited flow. flushed engine and rad until clear water was coming out them both. about 15mins in all....
    connected everything back up filled with with antifreeze but it was full with about 4 1/2 litres so i put rest in expansion bottle.
    i was going to top up with water but couldnt...
    so now it is probaly about a 90% antifreeze 10% water mix....
    should this be ok?????i was told by an AA fella years ago that they use pure antifreeze in all there vehicles at winter

You can't get all the old coolant by just draining rad.

The best way to do it is connect a hose to the heater valve hose, turn both heaters hot, completely flush the whole thing till clean water comes out of rad and heater valve, then drain the rad till its empty.

Then you can put 4-5 liters of neat antifreeze in, the top it up with water and then you'll have roughly a 50-50 mix as the block and heater matrixs are filled with just water and all will be good.

Fill it with a watering can through the hose that goes to the heater valve, till water comes out the heater valve, shut the valve and keep filling till it comes out the rad top (remember to close the rad drain...). This way you can avoid having to many air locks and just check it and top it up after its had a run and cooled down again.

Simples.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

rad seems ok still full and heater works fine....when i flushed through the top hose i disconnected it from the rad first and waited till there was just water coming out of the bottom disconnected rad hose. heaters turned on full....is this not just doing the same as going through the heater matrix pipes as the water works its way through the system.....it drained out very slow took about 5 mins untill all the antifreeze had gone and just water came out.....i put the bottom hose back on before all the water came out though so probably still water in the block then.????

Comment

Originally posted by sketty View Post
        ..though so probably still water in the block then.????
        That was my point, you can't easily drain the block, so get it full of clean water, then add the required amount of antifreeze.

If you fill it through the rad cap or rad hose, the heater matrix is higher, so can air lock. Fill it through the highest point in the system (at the heater valve), and you'll not get any significant airlocks.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
        X