fuel consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel consumption

When I was buying my 3 litre TD surf the dealer told me that the 3 litre motor was more economical than the 2.4. Is this feasible? What sort of MPG should I be getting assuming a light footed approach? Thanks..

Originally posted by porker
    When I was buying my 3 litre TD surf the dealer told me that the 3 litre motor was more economical than the 2.4. Is this feasible? What sort of MPG should I be getting assuming a light footed approach? Thanks..

Your talking somewhere between 22 to 26 mpg depending upon urban/motorway driving...Indirect Injection sufferes a little more direct. As you will read from other entries over time, whilst there is little difference you certainly will notice that the 3 is better for towing, a little faster [obviously] but who cares [its the grin your after]

may be talking loads of crap here...it seems to be catching!
    Gaz

Comment

Gaz is right. I've kept an accurate record of fuel consumption on the last three cars over about 4-5 years and do the same for the 3.0L TD Surf. Although I've seen mpg between fill ups of 24.5 mpg, my average is 22.7mpg at the moment. That includes a fair bit of towing a 1350kgs caravan and also plenty of 75+ on M-way & dual carriageway work solo. Motor seems to run better at that speed anyway.

The mpg isn't much different than the Volvo 940 2.3 that I had before the Surf. That would return about 28 on a long run but the average was only in the very low 23's overall and that was a petrol turbo estate.

You will find higher and lower figures quoted but the norm is around the figures Gaz quoted.
      Mike G

Comment

According to Parkers Guide a 3ltr 4runner will do 25-32 mpg and a 4.2 Landcruiser will do 20-30 mpg.(probably manual so drop a little for autos) So it just depends how you drive them. My 3ltr is definately more economical than the 2.4 i had.

The 2.4 seemed like you had to have it at half throttle just to keep it moving but the 3ltr purrs along with your foot just resting on the pedal.

Andy

Comment

Just out of interest guys, what is the working rpm range that you drive at?

This is my first long-term diesel, my other car is a.....10,000 rpm bike...so I figure theres quite a bit of retraining to do.

I have heard ppl mention that diesels prefer being "worked hard" what does that mean - increased load (low speed high gear, a bit of shuddering) or like the local white van man (engine revving its nuts off - relatively low speed, for high revs). I tend to chug around at 1300 rpm, 4th gear to give 25 mph-30 in towns but theres a bit of engine shake. Everything smoothens out if I left it at 2K, though. which is better on fuel and better for the engine.

Comment

Diesels like work to do, they run at much lower revs than petrol engines but produce bags more torque. They don't tend to last long if they are revved to hell under light load but love been in a high gear low revs and using the torque thats available. Mine rarely goes over 3.5 to 4 thousand revs.

Andy

Comment

Andy,
              There are supposedly issues with petrol engines "ovalling the cylinders" when they are run at low rpm high load (makes the cylinders eccentric). I assume this doesnt happen to Diesels?

What is your standard driving rpm? in my case, I do town running and mine is made to run at 1300 rpm throughout, apart from traffic light dashes and rhs turns when you have to cross oncoming traffic lanes.

Udhi

Comment

Hi all

The 4Runner has peak torque (218lb ft) at 2000 rpm so this is the place to be. I'm light footed and I consistently get more than 30mpg. My record is 36. On motorways I get about 26 mpg going at 75 - 80. Mine is manual and does not have air con.

NeillOP

Comment

Originally posted by NeillOP
                  Hi all

The 4Runner has peak torque (218lb ft) at 2000 rpm so this is the place to be. I'm light footed and I consistently get more than 30mpg. My record is 36. On motorways I get about 26 mpg going at 75 - 80. Mine is manual and does not have air con.

NeillOP
                  Neil,
                  That is interesting. Doesnt the area of peak torque also mean the area of peak fuel consumption? The car certainly will feel much smoother if I started driving at 2K. Might give it a go. I have used air con once, but with 5 droppable windows, its hardly justifiable to run it.

Regards
                  Udhi

Comment

Hello Chases

I don't know how it works, but usually the fuel consumption curve for a diesel engine is U shaped (plot consumption on the vertical axis and revs on the horizontal). At low revs it uses more fuel and at high revs it uses more. There is a rev range that gives the greatest efficiency, which on a truck is the 'green band'. Peak torque is somewhere in this band, I think.

I think the curve is more J shaped, in that there is not as big a penalty for having too few revs compared to too many. I try not to let my engine pull from below 1500 rpm.

NeillOP

Comment

I have started using the 2K driving style. The Surf seems to be constantly in the wrong gear, when trying to match 2K rpm with legal road speeds - it needs about 2.5K on 3rd Gear, and sits at 1.5 or 1.7 at 4rth, nuts, bringing it up to 2K in 4rth, settles it at about 60KPH/40MPH...Officer...

Udhi

Comment

Hi Chases

I know what you mean, but you don't have to be quite as strict with your self...call it a 1500-2000 window, and try to stay in that. It's very relaxing and you'll still be right up behind the car in front.

I'd be interested to hear if your fuel consumption improves

NeillOP

Comment

Due to my efforts to keep costs down, and already having 6 annoying points from the fuzz hiding in bushes 10ft from the national speed limit sign and jumping out with the old radar I tend to drive quite chilled out.
                          My 3.0 TD does 60mph at about 2125 rpm (even with wife and dogs and luggage) I am getting between 29 - 33 mpg. windies open vs aircon makes little difference to the mpg as the disrupted airflaow produced from having the windies open significantly increases drag and thus increases fuel consumption. A big 3.0 TD has little trouble running the a/c compressor.

Comment

I remember reading on this forum once that the 3.0L models have higher gearing than the 2.4L ones, so maybe that's why they are more economical?

Comment

I purchased my 3.0l surf 18 mnths ago as a towing vehicle, however I have'nt towed until this month. what a shock re. fuel cosm. I have been getting approx 21-24 solo, but towing a 1500/1800 kgs lump around Wales produced figs of 11-14 mpg. should i have purchased a disco?

Comment

Working...
                              X