Better Sounding Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Sounding Exhaust

Is there anything that's not too expensive, that will pass an MOT, that will make my engine sound a little more beefy? I've ripped the exhaust off from just behind the middle silencer so will need all that replaced for an MOT anyway I expect.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Still Can't believe I own a Hilux

MOT man told me as long as he can get his probe in without a problem, and it isnt leaking, it doesnt matter how long it is, or if its got a silencer (i guess so long as its under the noise limit). So, go for a short length of wide bore stainless and exit just in front of teh driver side rear wheel.

theres an MOT chap on this forum I think, he'll know for deffo.
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

No such thing as a noise limit.
      MOT says the exhaust volume must be comparable to similar vehicles.
      I had this with my last car, whch had a Wortec exhaust fitted, it would bang and crack like a gun going off when you blipped it, but never even got close to failing an MOT.
      Was really close to "track day" noise limits though...

thing is, with a diesel, and automatic boxes, do you really want to hear the exhaust noise that much?
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Well that's why I only want it a little better. I heard a Prelude with a really nice sounding exhaust but when I heard it was an auto I almost felt embarrassed for the poor sod.

Comment

Longlife will make up a stainless steel for £379 fitted i`m getting mine done next week.They will do a side exit aswell which would be cheaper but never got a price
          GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddleston View Post
            Well that's why I only want it a little better. I heard a Prelude with a really nice sounding exhaust but when I heard it was an auto I almost felt embarrassed for the poor sod.
            Why
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Read here

http://daemon4x4.org/board/topic.php?id=4591
              ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                Why
                Because when I presume he was trying to look cool, in a reasonable vehicle, it sounds ridiculously bad when the gear change is aaaaaaaa-uuuuuuuuuuu

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                  Solution

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/sh...Cut_Out_Valves

Best of both worlds. Stsndard exhaust and just vent it at the right place for your other wanted sound level....

...just after the headers works well!
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Eddleston View Post
                    Is there anything that's not too expensive, that will pass an MOT, that will make my engine sound a little more beefy? I've ripped the exhaust off from just behind the middle silencer so will need all that replaced for an MOT anyway I expect.
                    Any suggestions welcome.

No.
                    Whatever you do to the exhaust, it'll still sound like a rattly old tractor.

If you want it to sound better, junk the diesel lump and fit a petrol one.

Comment

Working...
                    X