Auto vs Manual gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto vs Manual gearbox

This is a mechanical reliability type question rather than driving question..

I rang someone with a rare UK manual 1994 hilux and he said ( probably not a suprise ) that manual gearboxes were more reliable, less prone to go wrong etc and that the auto is very expensive to fix..

any comments on this

Thanks

from what ive read the auto gearbox ECU is prone to problems. the elders will be along shortly to tell you more
    www.apmautos.com

Comment

I have never liked autos but the auto is pretty good providing it have been maintained properly. They will cost a fortune to fix if not. The auto relies on the ECU to operate properly so can have problems if the caps in the ECU need replacing. Then also add to overheating problems. Manual gearboxes in my opinion are a better option. Cheaper and easier to maintain and fix if needed.

Nev

Comment

I used to think I hated autos then got a surf.

It's a very reliable box, and very tough. I have to fix very few in the big scheme of things.

A surfs dual mass flywheel will fall apart long before an auto breaks. Mine has at least 180k abused offroad and heavy towing miles on it. Let's see a clutch put up with that....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Back in the dim and distant past I used to be a manual only man then I got the soarer which is auto box never looked back all my vehicles are auto's now, well the wifes smart car is semi auto. Quicker away from the lights than any manual as quite a few scoobies and such like have found out.

Comment

Working...
          X