Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil level rising

Hi all
    A bit of advice sought here. I purchased my first surf a couple of weeks ago.
    A KZN130 1994 whick looked really good. I have changed the oil (just over 7 litres) and filters, and am finding the oil level rising. I suspect diesel is getting into the oil. I am really concerned that the head has gone. Can anyone offer any advice on what to look for or any alternatives that could cause the leaking diesel.
    Thanks
    Dave

Are you checking it on a level surface every time with the engine stone cold & wiping the dipstick first then taking a second reading?

Oh & it's not the transmission fluid your checking by mistake, I know these sound like dumb questions but you'd be surprised.
    Last edited by si tate; 11 September 2011, 18:02.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

The front seal on the fuel pump is leaking into the timing case?
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Does it smell deisel'ly? Would take a big fuel leak to do that, and oil would be really runny, and woulkdn't have anything to do with the head

Try draining some, see if water comes out first, which would have something to do with the head/head gasket.

Both are very rare on a Surf, usually the signs of a head/head gasjet gone is running out of coolant, sometimes white smoke on start up and a full expansion tank.

I assume you're checking oil under same conditions each time, as if you check it cold and un-run it'll be at least 1/2 way up the dipstick higher than if you check it after just turning the motor off?
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.
          I changed the oil and filter last week and did not notice anything at the time. I changed the fuel filter two days ago and put some STP diesel injector cleaner in the new filter, and the rest into the tank. It was only today that I noticed the rise on the dipstick. I am checking the oil when it is warm, about an hour after a run. This is the first diesel I have worked on but feel mechanically confident to carry out a lot of tasks. I took the head of my sons skyline and back on again with no problems. But I have never come across this, so any advice would be welcomed. As I said I am very inexperienced on diesels.
          Dave

Comment

Just checked the coolant level and that is fine, she does not run hot at all.
            But there is a distinct rise on the dipstick and I am pretty sure its diesel.
            I googled this, and the term of bore wash has come up and injector seal leakage. Before I start stripping the engine down It would be good to be given a pointer to check out.
            Thanks
            Dave

Comment

If the truck starts quickly and with no plume of black smoke, it's not the injectors leaking.

Comment

Albannach The front seal on the fuel pump is leaking into the timing case?
                Ok, Thanks for that. I am going to take a look at this one.
                I will post back what I find.
                Dave

Comment

Engine Oil

Never check the engine oil warm. To get a true oil level reading on the dipstick
                  its best to do it when the engine has been stationary (cold) preferably in the morning after its been parked over night, then you will get a true reading.

Comment

Well panic over, it was my paranoia of just purchasing her and thinking I had been stung. The level had certainly risen but it was only oil. Although I thought i had drained it all for the oil change. There must have been some held in the engine somewhere? I drained it down last night and could not smell diesel. TonyN's comments of it "being rare", made me look at it again with a more calmer attitude. I am surprised that there was about 1/2 litre removed to get the dipstick back to the correct level. Never experienced this before. Anyhow, New tyre tomorrow to get it up to scratch, and thanks for all your comments, much appreciated.
                    Dave

Comment

I shall add my 2pence worth,

I had the same problem with my old diesel 3ltr surf. It's oil level was rising at quite an alarming rate. I work in an oil analysis company so I was able to have the oil tested. The results showed that my oil was in fact full of a worrying amount of diesel. On the plus side, diesel in your oil is brilliant for cleaning the engine internals of sludge! I did wonder why it turned fresh oil black so quickly , even for a diesel.
                      Sold the beast not long after.

Comment

Originally posted by broseph View Post
                        Sold the beast not long after.
                        After you fixed the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          After you fixed the problem?
                          That, I would guess, is how he fixed the problem.

Comment

Sold it as a running non-runner for £750.
                            I've sold a car with a dud 5th gear before and after many sleepless nights vowed always to tell of every little last problem to prospective buyers when I sell a car. If only every private seller would do the same!

Comment

Well that was very honest of you, wasn't it prob just a seal gone somewhere?

Sounds like new owner did OK

Comment

Working...
                              X