1994 SSR-X Y-K2N130W 3.0 turbo diesel Performance Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 SSR-X Y-K2N130W 3.0 turbo diesel Performance Problems

I am having major performance issues with my Hilux. It doesn't start easily and then seems to be running on only a couple of cylinders for about 10 seconds. After that, when I put my foot down in neutral it seems to take a long time to rev up. When driving I have very little power and again the engine seems to take a long time to rev up.
    I am seeing oil in the exhaust pipe and a small amount of white smoke when I rev up to around 3000 in neutral. I can also see oil around the intake manifold and I'm not sure where that is coming from. If the turbo is leaking oil would that cause oil to leak out around the intake manifold? If not where could that oil be coming from? Can oil leak from the turbo, into the intake manifold and appear in the exhaust?

Any help is greatly appreciated. To help make this question more useful to other users, how does one go about diagnosing performance problems in these hilux's?

EDIT: There is no obvious oil in the coolant or in the overflow tank and as far as I can tell, no water in the engine oil.

Thanks
    Andrew
    Last edited by dieselfry; 11 September 2011, 20:55.

White smoke sounds like your head gasket has gone - the weather is not cold enough to be moisture evaporating from the exhaust after a night standing and this would be evident at tickover not appearing at 3000rpm.

A certain amount of oil would be present in the exhaust if there is limited combustion and its unburnt deisel and or oil is leaking into the combustion chambers and being passed down the exhaust. Exhaust if anything should have sooty deposits rather than oily.

Do you have oil in the coolant / expansion tank and or white mayo or similar unusual deposits around the oil filler or head breather pipe suggesting coolant has entered the oil system?

Someone else may have some other pointers as my knowledge isnt as vast as some others on here but the above would be my first thought.

Comment

You could take the aluminum pipe that runs from the turbo to the intake manifold off and check for heavy amounts of oil. This would not be definitive, but would be a place to start to see if your turbo has issues.

Comment

Working...
      X