Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mystery noise

hi folks
    i've had my surf since late last year and thanks to searching this forum have managed to sort out a few minor faults etc
    but this has got me stumped ,the problem is a rattle- it sounds like something is really loose when i go over bumps in the road ,i have taken it to 3 local tyre and exhaust centres and had it up on the ramps but everything seems tight underneath and they cant find anything loose.
    i have looked under the bonnet and everything seems tight ,this morning i've taken the front guard off ,underslung spare wheel and related brackets off and rocked the truck but i cant hear anything it only happens when i'm driving, so i'm thinking it must be drive shaft or suspension related?!
    the noise sounds like a metal plate is really loose and slapping about

the truck has 31" tyres on it and non standard wheels also it has had a 2" lift done by the previous owner but he hasnt dropped the rad just cut the shroud back so it makes me wonder how well the lift has been done

i'm gonna change the atf today (the floor gets very hot while i'm towing)

so any suggestions you think might be worth looking at would be very helpful

cheers
    subtotal

Jack loose in its cubby hole?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Try and find a reasonably straight bit of road, then put it in 4wd and see if the noise goes away. If its does then its your front hub bushes.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks for the reply albannach,
        i'll take it out but i have all the windows open, its definatley coming from outside

Comment

thanks for the reply tony
          i will give that a go now , the noise does sound more like its coming from the front -back in 10
          Last edited by subtotal; 18 July 2011, 11:41.

Comment

just come back from trying that test tony but it was still the same in 4wd plus i was getting a knocking noise when turning around in 4wd as if the wheel was catching on something?!

i better add that to my list of faults

Comment

Originally posted by subtotal View Post
              i was getting a knocking noise when turning around in 4wd as if the wheel was catching on something?!
              That's not a fault, don't use 4wd on non slippery surfaces on a 2nd gen. Tony clearly said to test it on a reasonably straight bit of road.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

the roads are wet here, it also happened in the snow

Comment

I tracked a metallic "tink, tink" noise from the front end that I could really only hear with the windows down while passing something for the noise to bounce off of and back to me, down to the cotter pin in the front grease cap, not sure if 2nd gens have these as well. For whatever reason, the nut cap and cotter pin are loose in there, and clink away happily.
                  '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

try the anti roll bar drop links. sitting still theres weight on them so they feel tight but if you disconnect them you can check the bushes and ball joint.

mine were really rattly going over cobbled surfaces - might be an easy fix

Comment

Originally posted by IanB2 View Post
                      For whatever reason, the nut cap and cotter pin are loose in there, and clink away happily.
                      Originally posted by gary-r View Post
                      try the anti roll bar drop links. sitting still theres weight on them so they feel tight but if you disconnect them you can check the bushes and ball joint.

mine were really rattly going over cobbled surfaces - might be an easy fix
                      thanks for the input guys ,i will look into both these suggestions ,
                      the roll bar bushes look like they have been replaced recently , if i jacked the front off the ground would that expose play in the drop links?

EDIT: no it wont- just tried it
                      Last edited by subtotal; 18 July 2011, 18:01.

Comment

I had a rattle which turned out to be one of the side step mounts that had popped a rivet & was clattering on the step, it's worth a quick look.
                        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

cheers si but i havent got any sidesteps on mine

Comment

Try the bump stops, mine worked lose and
                            rattled like mad on mine, also, jack it up and
                            spin the wheels, it might be the saftey bolt
                            and washer in the drive shaft end that's come
                            out.
                            Hope this helps.

Gman.
                            If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

thanks for the advice gman,
                              i will take the wheels off and have a look

Comment

Working...
                              X