Timing belt change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt change

3litre belt change went under way today,I put the tensioner on but did not tighten it up which gave me the precious few more millimetres to pull the belt over the cam shaft pully, lined it up, but the two bolts for the tensioner were Ficking Solid!!!

they are supposed to be torqued to 13nm but they started off at that, I had to increase the resistance of the torque wrench massively, they went in eventually, with buggerd knuckles!!

anyone else experience this when they have positioned the new belt on the two 10mm bolts give a lot of resistance??

Cheers

I recently changed my belt but didn't encounter any problems, you must have just been unlucky.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

You did it wrong.

Do you mean tensioner (the piston device or the idler, the bearing wheel?)

Use a sturdy cable tie to take up all the slack on the belt after threading it round top and bottom pulleys and past the idler.
      Release cable tie after making sure timing is spot on and then release pin in tensioner. (pin comes fitted to new tensioners but a 4mm allen key used as a pin can be put into a used tensioner with the aid of a vice)

If it was my truck I would go back and make sure it is spot on, the idler bolts should screw in with your fingers and then be set with torque wrench. Even one tooth out could cause serious problems.
      Last edited by KERRSURF; 11 June 2011, 00:30.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        You did it wrong.

Use a sturdy cable tie to take up all the slack on the belt after threading it round top and bottom pulleys.
        Position idler and bolt up. Release cable tie after making sure timing is spot on and then release pin in tensioner.

If it was my truck I would go back and make sure it is spot on, the idler bolts should screw in with your fingers and then be set with torque wrench. Even one tooth out could cause serious problems.
        I no understand;
        Did he try & fit the tentioner with the pin already out?
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

You quoted me before I sorted my post Si.
          Alan

Comment

No pin is still in the tensioner at the moment, basically you fit the belt over all pullys and idler pully with the tensioner NOT fully bolted in place,
            you need to leave it loose,

then once I had the belt over the cam pully the two 10mm tensioner bolts are VERY difficult to tighten because of pressure on them......

if you try fit that tensioner properly(pinned)...good luck trying to get the belt on!
            leaving it slack gives you just that bit more slack to get the belt on properly,

al 3l timing marks are set correctly, the belt is on with the timing marker set to tdc on cam shaft pully, but the thing thats making me nervous was how hard those bolts were to get in! I just hope they come back out again....

Comment

You are definatly doing some wrong, the belt isn't tight till you release the pin.

It easily goes round the pulleys and tensioner, and is actually to baggy to stay in place often without something to wedge the idler against it while you bolt the tensioner on.

Are you sure the bolt threads arn't buggered, and this is what making them tight to do up. Or its the correct belt?
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                You are definatly doing some wrong, the belt isn't tight till you release the pin.

It easily goes round the pulleys and tensioner, and is actually to baggy to stay in place often without something to wedge the idler against it while you bolt the tensioner on.

Are you sure the bolt threads arn't buggered, and this is what making them tight to do up. Or its the correct belt?
                Its a toyota belt, and I had spare(non toyota) and comparing them they look the same, But I have just tried screwing the bolts in without the tensioner and they are still hard, the thread on the back plate is knackered!!! the garage that did the belt the last time has caused some damage here!

what is this back plate below the oil retainer plate called? and where can I get one, I am also just going to get a new idler pulley and tensioner, taking no chances here....

Comment

If you mean the part the bolts screw into, not sure its official name, but if you want one I have a used one if you want to save a cash on a new one! I'd probably try helicoiling the screw holes first though, would save taking lots of stuff off.

Comment

Hydrolocking ? Clean out any oil in the hole and try again.

Comment

If you mean the part the bolts screw into, not sure its official name, but if you want one I have a used one if you want to save a cash on a new one! I'd probably try helicoiling the screw holes first though, would save taking lots of stuff off.
                      Thanks Tony, I have been searching to try get one, I think its the timing gear cover?....I have never tried Helicoiling but sounds like a plan, nothing to lose, what would I be looking for to do this? and if this fails I will likley come back to you for that cover.

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                      Hydrolocking ? Clean out any oil in the hole and try again.
                      Aint that Wishbone its clean, the bolts came back out with strips of metal in the thread!

Comment

This is the sort of thing you need to thread repair..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HELICOIL-THREA...item2c54b59066

Check the thread size you need though, I'm only guessing.

Originally posted by Surfsupdudes View Post
                        I think its the timing gear cover?...
                        yeah, exactly that. lol
                        Attached Files

Comment

This is the sort of thing you need to thread repair..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HELICOIL-THREA...item2c54b59066

Check the thread size you need though, I'm only guessing.

yeah, exactly that. lol
                          Ok will check thread diameter out, hoping I can get access for drilling.....
                          thanks for helping mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfsupdudes View Post
                            No pin is still in the tensioner at the moment, basically you fit the belt over all pullys and idler pully with the tensioner NOT fully bolted in place,
                            you need to leave it loose,

then once I had the belt over the cam pully the two 10mm tensioner bolts are VERY difficult to tighten because of pressure on them......

if you try fit that tensioner properly(pinned)...good luck trying to get the belt on!
                            leaving it slack gives you just that bit more slack to get the belt on properly,

al 3l timing marks are set correctly, the belt is on with the timing marker set to tdc on cam shaft pully, but the thing thats making me nervous was how hard those bolts were to get in! I just hope they come back out again....
                            That's nonsense, bolt it up and use the cable tie method I mentioned before pulling the tensioner pin. Did you come in seeking advice or to give us a lesson on how to do it? ( old grumpy c*nt goes off for a moan)
                            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                              That's nonsense, bolt it up and use the cable tie method I mentioned before pulling the tensioner pin. Did you come in seeking advice or to give us a lesson on how to do it? ( old grumpy c*nt goes off for a moan)
                              for advice mate, only quoting from a link I found when doing a search on this forum!! have a read....

http://www.dieseltoyz.com/timing%20belt%20how%20to.html

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X