Cylinder head gone - advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder head gone - advice please

My surf went for a sniff test yesterday, and it came back positive. So, it looks like I need a new cylinder head.

Two questions.

Can I still use it for short journeys? If I keep an eagle eye on the coolant level and keep it topped up. Or will that risk more damage?

Next, where to get the new head. EBay, new, £390 delivered, or Roughtrax, £675 + VAT, plus delivery... Cash is VERY tight, but I don't want to make a false economy.. the new head HAS to last!

Advice please, especially from those who've already been through this pain.

From what i've read on here i would favour the roughtrax head or a steveo head. The ebay heads are not renowned for quality from all accounts of them. anyway someone with a better idea will tell you more
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

An ebay head, is just not worth it. A roughtrax or stevo head is what you need...good luck.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

have a go with some block sealant from halfords if you still need the surf to aork for a bit.

used some anout 6 months ago on a 2.0l car and it has not failed yet.

(must note it is not my car so mate is happy to use it)

have got a new head but he has not got time to change it yet (or he is waiting for sealant to fail)

and he has done some miles when it was put in. i thought it would never work but i was proven and still am wrong.

nut dont use it on surf unless you want to risk it, personally i would go for another head from roughtrax.

the ebay stuff is or can be seen as crap. but it is also cheap and money is top of anyones list at the moment.......

waiting for a slating from other members about the sealant.

Comment

Yep, I won't use a sealant. No point in the risk now that I'm committed to replacing the head.

I have negotiated a safe place to leave my mountain bike at a friends house near the train station, so I can cycle down, get the train to work, then slog it back up the hill after work. Oh joy.

So, the Surf is going to stay where it is until I have all the bits I need, then it's getting a gentle drive as far as KerrSurf, where the spanner magic will take place

Now, I need to make a decision on the head. Money is a REAL problem, so a couple of hundred quid extra is a lot to us at the moment...

Comment

using a pushbike try this.

http://www.transformercycles.com/

ive got one and my god are they fun. get a few looks as your peddling away at 30mph.

Comment

I got one from motorcast, service was good, have had no probs since. Google them. HTH.

Comment

Has anyone on here actually used a new cylinder head from eBay? Is it just a general suspicion of the quality rather than anything concrete that prevents people recommending them?

Comment

The issue, i remember was this. The head, that someone recieved, was an original head, that had been "repaired". Some stitich welding and machining was done to hide the cracks. My last 3.0 litre, had an ebay head on it...it lasted about 6 months. The roughtrax head is cheaper, and highly reccomended. Good luck, and dont forget to drink all of Alans beer
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

We don't get Ebay in NZ but do get cheap Chinese cylinder heads. We don't recommend fitting them but have a couple of customers that have used them. 1 is still going strong after 14 months and 1 died 3 months after installation.......you pay your money, you take your chance, seems to be the operative phrase.

Don't forget to get the rest of the cooling system checked over, the head got hot and cracked for a reason.....blocked rad, viscous not working, stuck thermostat, no antifreeze, etc......

Comment

I suspect the cause was an overheat when the old radiator developed a small hole, cue lots of steam. I stopped the truck and left it ticking over to keep the fan running and the temp dropped back down fairly fast. Drove home very slowly watching the temperture gauge more than the road, and then it stayed there until a new radiator arrived, which KerrSurf came over and fitted for me.

Everything looked good after that apart from a very low level coolant loss, which initially was put down to rotten pipes feeding the rear heater matrix. However, once they were blocked off, it became clear that wasn't the problem....

Comment

Working...
                      X