Squealing, vibrating surf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squealing, vibrating surf.

My poor wee surfs (1996 3.0l auto KZN130) not very well.

Started off as an occasional squealing, not dissimilar to a loose belt but more of a metalic sound.

Now I get a squealing under acceleration which disappears when I lift off the throttle. This is accompanied by a vibration. Also get a squeal/klink if I change down. Basically any time there is considerable torque going through the drive-train. Had a scout about on here and found some posts about UJ's - checked and these seem fine. Also, change the auto fluid today and hasn't made any difference.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking gearbox doom but hope I'm wrong.

Could be the turbo/manifold/exhaust/egr seals.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Engine mounts?
      Check your U/Js again.

Comment

New front crank pully imho
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
          New front crank pully imho
          I bet it's not.

Comment

UJs are impossible to check properly on the truck unless they're really knackered and getting hot.

Drop the prop shaft off and check for notchy, stiff movement at both ends.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

something similar...

just happend to me.

check the air con tensioner pulley bearing. mine had all but seized, and it was cfreating lots of start up problems and did on occasion sound like a slipping belt.

took it off and all the vibration disapeared. ...4 quid to replace the bearing and bobs ya mothers brother.

si

Comment

[QUOTE=BUSHWHACKER;719323]I bet it's not.[/

hi vince

I only thought that because my crank pulley went and created similar noises to a belt slipping and a horrible grinding noise replaced and all was well again
                I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

So.. Had another look underneath and double checked the uj's. Turns out the 1 before the diff is shot. Couldn't tell with the wheels on the ground but lifting them and then checkin for play made it obvious. Think squealing mayb loose clip on the anti-roll bar rattling from the vibration. Anyway, all good. Good call bushwacker. Thanks all for your input.

Comment

Mine makes a similar noise (3rd gen)... very high pitched, sounded like a belt but "more metalic" as mentioned earlier, it does sound like it could be bearing related.

Mine does it the other way round though, it seems to do it at idle and overrun, but as soon as I increase revs it goes silent!

the truck is sound deadened so high frequency noises are well filtered, but its hugely loud from outside.
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

Hi karma supra. My third gen is doing the very same thing as yours, squeal at idle, no squeal when revs are up. Did you ever figure out your problem?

Comment

Originally posted by richied View Post
                        Hi karma supra. My third gen is doing the very same thing as yours, squeal at idle, no squeal when revs are up. Did you ever figure out your problem?
                        My vote goes for a dry pulley.
                        Try squirting a bit of WD40 or even water in the general area and see if the sound goes away - if only briefly. It might narrow your search.
                        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

i'm having a similar problem as karma supra. loud whine/ squeel when coasting in 4wd. softer lower pitch hum in rwd. need to run it up on the hoist at work this week. hopefully figure out what it id. will update later this week

Comment

Working...
                          X