MPG on a motorway cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG on a motorway cruise

im collecting a surf 3.0td 2nd gen on saturday and have the pleasure of a 460 mile drive home and this is all motorways, i have arranged with someone to supply me with some veg oil but i want to calculate roughly how much ill need.

so what the best speed to get the most mpg off this beasty, i used to have a 3rd gen but i forgot lol. If i can get an idea what mpg i can expect i can work out how much fuel ill need and in turn let this guy know how much veg oil ill need, all going well a full tank will get me home.
    2nd Gen 3.0td, running on waste veg oil

Watch those motorway service`s, cost me over £1.50 a litre just past gretna green 2 weeks ago

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
      Watch those motorway service`s, cost me over £1.50 a litre just past gretna green 2 weeks ago
      well the good chap is leaving 1/4 tank for me so i just need 3/4 tank of veg oil and im getting it for 40p a litre filtered

hopefully ill get past gretna green without needing to fill up

Comment

I reckon you'll need one and a half tanks to cover that sort of distance.

Comment

It'll be more than that. He's going uphill.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Do you think you need a more economical vehicle?
            What happens when you get it home with an empty tank?

Comment

is it auto or manual? with our auto you need to be cruising at just over 50mph for the overdrive to kick in and lock and then a few more mph so it dont labour up the hills, 60 feels easy in ours, but then so does 80 or 90, im not sure its very economical at 90mph though.

i went to southampton and back from essex on about 50 quid on monday, thats about 250 miles ish

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Do you think you need a more economical vehicle?
                What happens when you get it home with an empty tank?
                I ALREADY HAVE VEG OIL IN MY SHED READY TO USE

Comment

whats the point? fill up-go= fuel gone= fill up whats the alternative, leave on the side of the road as the fuel has run out!!

Comment

Originally posted by kpautos View Post
                    whats the point? fill up-go= fuel gone= fill up whats the alternative, leave on the side of the road as the fuel has run out!!
                    ill get the chap to bring 80L of veg so i have some left for when i run out

Comment

Just a thought but has it been run on veg previously? Only ask as with a full tank of veg you might get the seals leaking on the fuel pump if it hasn't been used to veg or had the seal replaced recently, so you could end up stuck on the side of the road, even with half a tank of fuel still in it.
                      Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
                        Just a thought but has it been run on veg previously? Only ask as with a full tank of veg you might get the seals leaking on the fuel pump if it hasn't been used to veg or had the seal replaced recently, so you could end up stuck on the side of the road, even with half a tank of fuel still in it.
                        a bit unlikely i have run 2 x bmw 525tds , also a 3.0td surf 3rd gen, also a audi a4 on veg oil and never had a leaking seal on the fuel pump.

Comment

well it run brilliant on the veg oil, i got 80L, it took 40L to fill it to the brim, so 40L went in the boot, the journey took 8.5 hours, the traffic around Birmingham and Manchester was horrendous, sometime slow, then stop then just when you think your going again your stopped and so on for many many miles, so once clear of the blackpool junction the traffic cleared a bit and i then drove at 70-80 as per gps, speedo reading 6-7mph more, so kept this speed up most of the way home, i had to use the other 40L of veg.

my gauge ended up at the same point before i filled with veg so i am estimating it as 80L for the journey, from the point of veg oil collection it was 440m home so it cost me £32 for 80L of veg oil to get home and it works out at 25mpg, which is to be expected given the speeds i was doing and a lot of it up hill, had i been able to stick to a steady 60 or 70 it would have been much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf_MoFo View Post
                            had i been able to stick to a steady 60 or 70 it would have been much more.
                            Why couldn't you?
                            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                              Why couldn't you?
                              well after the traffic jams i just wanted to get home so pressed on a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X