Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an ARB Compressor

Hi Folks,
    I posted a question to the technical electrical section headed 'ARB compressor', but no reply. I am in the process of fitting an ARB Compressor which is pretty much completed apart from one wire from the dash isolator switch. I would like the compressor to run when the key is turned to ACC or preferably when the engine is running. The instructions say to link up to the ignition wire which I presume is the large White and White/Red cable from the ignition barrel, I have put a Meter on both these wires and both are live even when the key is not fitted. Can anyone recommend a wire to tap into that is sufficient enough to cope with the compressor isolator switch, is there an ACC wire I can tap into?

You can use any 'ign only' wire you find on the column if you put a relay in to feed the isolator switch.

Comment

Get in to the multiplug for the radio and take an ACC live from there, its easier to find than poking about at the million or so wires at the ign switch end. I think its yellow, but would not swear to that.
      Сви можемо

Comment

Hi Guys,
        Thanks for the info, I've tried to get at the radio multiplug, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get at the back of the radio, does the whole surround need removing in order to get the radio out? I've attached a picture of the ignition switch terminal block, is there a wire I can tap into here? the two large white and white and red wires appear to be permanently live, however I was hoping to tap in to a wire that would only live up when ignition switch is set to ACC, as already explained the ARB instructions require the wire from the isolator switch to connect to ignition, any suggestions would be much appreciated (complete electrical novice).
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes the whole centre panel must come out, I can't remember myself but maybe the glove box and under steering wheel trim too.

They're not hard maybe 10 screws.

Comment

To get at the radio. Lift out the plastic surround around the handbrake. Should just lift out, its clipped in, no screws ( Mine is anyway) Then gently prize out the plastic bit round the heater controls, using a knife,or small screwdriver and be careful not to break the small plastic lugs that hold it in. ( Mine comes out easily enough) You will then see under that a couple of screws which attach the whole centre dash bit. Remove them and whole centredash bit lifts out. Its also clipped in apart from those 2 screws, and they are fairly robust metal spring clip thingys which are not going to break easily You can now get the radio cradle out ( 4 screws) and fiddle with the wires at will.
            All this takes longer to type than to do.
            Oh, before taking out the heater control surround dont forget to pull off the plastic knobs on the 2 levers, and of course to lift it clear there are a few plugs to disconnect. If you want it totally out you need to remove the 4WD selector knob, but its not necessary for what you want.
            So, 2 screws and some clips, plus 4 screws for the radio cradle
            Last edited by Bogus; 3 May 2011, 23:48.
            Сви можемо

Comment

Just use the cigarette lighter wire

Comment

Working...
              X