New calipers on 4Runner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New calipers on 4Runner?

Is it a standard job or is there some hidden menace in it?........

Also, how comes one side costs more than the other?

Thanks.

If you trust yourself with brake stuff its no biggy.

they are the same price on Roughtrax?

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

So they are, i`m sure they were different last time I looked,could have been Milners I suppose.....cannae remember........what day is it today?.........

Yeah,i`m fine doing brakes Tony,just wanted to check that it was a standard brake job with no hidden extras.

Thanks.

Comment

LOL, nah, I checked before answering, Milners only have Gen Left side calipers with no price, aftermarket right ones, R/T are the same price both sides.

Its easy, you need to know is how to do bolts up, and bleed brakes. If you need that explaining, step away...

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
          Its easy, you need to know is how to do bolts up, and bleed brakes. If you need that explaining, step away...

What are bolts and what do they do and why would they bleed?

Comment

Originally posted by Fricfrac View Post

Comment

They will only bleed if you cut them. Sometimes they even die. I know this because I heard people talking about deadbolts.If they are not seized and you can get them out with a spanner they will be fine..
              Сви можемо

Comment

Deadbolts? Spanners?

Your confusing me now.............

Comment

They are taking the michael.

This is a bolt

1. remove wheel (s)
                  2. remove pads
                  3. remove caliper by undoing BOLTS, remove brake pipe first
                  4. put in new caliper by doing up bolts
                  5. put in pads
                  6. Connect brake pipe with new washers
                  7. Bleed furthest from master cylinder first

Do not let calipers hang on brake pipes, and inspect pipes thoroughly beforehand so if they're cracked you change them at the same time.

Comment

Thanks for that.

I think we were all round taking the mickey out of each other, I have worked on the odd vehicle or two in the past..........

Comment

Thanks for that.

, I have worked on the odd vehicle or two in the past..........
                      Vehicle, old 4 runner, that was the clue. You must have worked on it before replacing different rusty bits.
                      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                        Vehicle, old 4 runner, that was the clue. You must have worked on it before replacing different rusty bits.
                        Yep. Mind you ,I have had the time due to the head not cracking.................

Comment

Had to bite the bullet, the old calipers are seizing again, I cleaned them up last time.

New calipers,discs and pads ordered from RT, may as well put new bearings in there whilst it is in bits. Got some new flexis as well. Anything else I should do whilst the hubs are off?

Comment

I've just done the calipers on mine, very very simple job, had the old ones off, new ones on fitted, bled and back on the road in under 2 hours..
                            Only snag is the bolts holding the 2 halves of the calipers together from roughtrax heads are a little big so very difficult to nip them up.. one of mine was weeping slightly on the joint..

I bled through the entire system too with new fluid and cleaned up and greased the rears..

Went for spin, was great having balanced brakes, but pedal felt sloppy.. then remember i had forgot to re-adjust the rears, so sat there for 10 mins pumping the handbrake to get the adjusters on the rears right

Comment

Working...
                            X