Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Surf 4wd problem - Help needed

Hi,

Again, I have looked through the many threads about 4wd issues on 3rd gen Surf. Basically, when engaging 4wd, the light flashes but never settles and I can't hear the distinct clicking of the transfer box/diff. You'll have to forgive me, my knowledge is somewhat limited.

I have lifted the front passenger side wheel and it turns freely with the 4wd engaged and disengaged. I've looked underneath and all connections seem ok. Both driveshafts turn when 4wd is engaged but only rear when 2wd is. Hard to do as I'm alone here and having to check the vehicle driveshafts while nobody is at the wheel is a bit dodgy.

The other day, I engaged 4wd to go up a steep grassy bank and the rear passenger side just spinned despite 4L being engaged. The last time I know it worked for sure, I was extracting wood from a coppice so the back was fully loaded. I remember that once I was back on tarmac, it took forever to disengage.

Any ideas anyone? I know it's all a bit vague but some directions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    96 3rd gen 3.0TD SSRX

wen you say both drive shafts are spinnin i assume ya mean prop shafts goin to front an rear an spinnin??

if so it sounds like the actuator on the front diff isnt engaging...try swappin the two vacuum hoses for the front diff in the engine bay around an see will it engage wen you do

Comment

Sounds like the ADD on the front diff isn't working if both prop are spinning. With it in 4HL or 4LL you shouldn't be able to spin one wheel with it jacked up.

Check all the vacuum lines ot the front diff, but it could also be a position switch problem on the T/Case.

Don't take the solenoid apart unless you have to, it'll all ping apart, and must be working if the front prop is engaging and disengaging. Check the switches on top of it first.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

You can see what I mean when I say my technical knowledge is limited...and just to emphasise the point: where do I find the actuator in the engine bay? I have a non-intercooled 3.0 diesel. Do I access it from under the car?
        96 3rd gen 3.0TD SSRX

Comment

Tony, it says on your website that you're not currently working on trucks, but are you? Just asking as you're not far from me (Guildford) should I need a more expert hand to have a look at it.
          96 3rd gen 3.0TD SSRX

Comment

yeah, website is old.

can look at it for you soon if you want, needs to be at least later next week though.

Comment

That's good to know. Although I'm not in a rush. Do I have to unbolt the bash plate to get at the differential?

Also, I have another query on the site regarding lifting measurements. You wouldn't happen to know how high the truck sits with a 2" lift by any chance? Or the OE measurements perhaps?
              96 3rd gen 3.0TD SSRX

Comment

To get ot the front diff yes the bash plate needs to come off, have no idea of measurements, they are all different depending on how abused the springs have been over the years.

Also often come up slightly different even with nerw springs too.

I have a stock looking 3rd Gen here will measure. A big part of new shocks and springs is returning the handling to how it should be or better, any lift aside. You don't notice how soft they get over time and is always worth doing on an older truck.

Comment

Tony, will probably arrange for you to have a look at the Surf in the not too distant future. I am obviously looking at a lift as well as service before June, when I am taking the truck to France. Sometimes in end of May perhaps? Let me know.

Regarding suspension, I am looking at overhauling because of age, and looking at lift as I might as well. Let me know what measurements you get, that'sll give me an idea. Only asking as another member put one on his truck and ended up with 35in, which is what i've got.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far!
                  96 3rd gen 3.0TD SSRX

Comment

Working...
                  X