yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KZN 130 and 185 Towing weight limits.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN 130 and 185 Towing weight limits.....

Hi all,

I just want to check that i'm not going mad or that the Roughtrax website is wrong about towing weight limits.

KZN130 - 1500Kg
    KZN185 - 2500Kg

Is this correct?

The reason i ask is that these figures represent a Ton difference in towing weight limits. I know there are differences in both 95 and 96 yrar vehicles but enough of a difference to affect the towing weight limits by such a large margin.

Your swift response would be appreciated.

Francis
    Now it's time to play!

Yep you are correct mate.
    A 3rd gen is a vastly differant truck. Chassis, Steering, Suspension as so on
    Brian

Comment

Cheers Brian.

I'm going to have a look tomorrow at a Blue over Silver 1996 SSR-G with 110K miles. It looks in pretty reasonable condition, just about immaculate inside, no towbar, and the price....a steal in my opinion at £2300.

What do you think?

Edited to add: Auto box.
      Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
        Cheers Brian.

I'm going to have a look tomorrow at a Blue over Silver 1996 SSR-G with 110K miles. It looks in pretty reasonable condition, just about immaculate inside, no towbar, and the price....a steal in my opinion at £2300.

What do you think?

Edited to add: Auto box.
        I say buy it mate if it's an honest truck.
        Brian

Comment

I've just had another look at the advert and another chat with the owner. The pictures were deceiving me. It's green over silver and 5spd which wasn't in the ad so no ###### good, and thats perhaps why it's so cheap. Difficult colour to shift on IMHO.

I suppose it's still worth the money and there might even be a bit of profit in it if i bought it and passed it on fairly quickly.

Pity yours wasn't automatic as i'd be coming up to Scotland to take it off your hands.
          Now it's time to play!

Comment

Are you buying it as an investment or to use? If the latter, feck the colour!

If you need a towbar and end up with a 3rd gen, I have one on my 3rd gen which is unused.

The brakes on a 3rd gen are pretty epic compared to a 2nd gen too. Might have something to do with the towing weights.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Toyota UK will tell you a 93-95 KZN130 UK spec 4Runner will tow 2200kg.

Andy, you had heavy, chunky 33's on steel wheels on your old truck!! A stock 2nd Gens brakes will feel epic comparted to that! (but 3rd gens have slighty bigger front discs, and newer rubber hoses so always feel better)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
                I've just had another look at the advert and another chat with the owner. The pictures were deceiving me. It's green over silver and 5spd which wasn't in the ad so no ###### good, and thats perhaps why it's so cheap. Difficult colour to shift on IMHO.

I suppose it's still worth the money and there might even be a bit of profit in it if i bought it and passed it on fairly quickly.

Pity yours wasn't automatic as i'd be coming up to Scotland to take it off your hands.
                I think you have the wrong end of the stick mate.
                A manual is so much better for towing, most who tow with autos end up having to fit trans coolers to keep temps down. Also you have no control over the auto box dropping gears as it sees fit.
                Only my opinion an experiance but for towing I would go manual everytime.
                Brian

Comment

LOL, personally I'd go Auto for towing (with a cooler ) everytime.

There is far less snatch on drivetrain and trailer with an auto, its a much smoother and easier drive, and Surf dual mass flywheels are terrible long term when worked hard, they just destroy themselves.

Reversing and generaly buggering around manouvering the trailer is far easier when you only need one foot as well.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

It's good to get more than one opinion from different peoples experience, each to their own though.

I have to say, i've been driving legally since age 17 and in my experience autos, for me anyway and over the last 28yrs, make a better towing vehicle from the comfort and ease point of view.

Equally, with the sheer amount of long traffic jams in my neck of the woods, whether towing or not, an auto still makes the most sense. I'm done with manuals except for my Subaru which will be retired in due course to be stripped, caged, modified further and ready to race, hence why i wanted the KZN185 with it's higher towing limit so i can take the car to track meets, sprints etc..., on the back of a trailer.

I've also got to go and pick up an extra long 4 wheel transporter trailer that's been in a field for 2yrs. Just needs the tyres pumping up to get it home, and a little bit of welding, some paint and a new electric winch to make it useable. I've got the trailer free of charge so whatever i spend on it won;t break the bank.

I drove this 96 SSR-G back from Lancashire this afternoon and i was very impressed. The auto box is great, the Surf goes really well, and it looks the biz. Just needs a few jobs doing on it and i'm away.

I'm very proud to be the owner of an awesome 4x4. I've wanted one for a while now and it was worth the wait.

If i need a trans cooler and a few other bits i've no doubt i'll be taking a trip to Roughtrax pretty soon.
                    Last edited by ROMEROTECH; 20 April 2011, 22:21.
                    Now it's time to play!

Comment

Working...
                    X