Oil Pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure?

I`m fairly new to Surf ownership infact my trucks not quite on the road yet, I`m still in the fiddling stages as it`s not been on the road for three years so it has a few little issues but nothing major except perhaps one thing...

When I first got it I concentrated on getting it running before doing much else, once running I noticed the oil pressure according to the dash gauge seemed poor, barely moving from low at tickover and upto around 1/4 at 2500 rpm when warm, I did an engine flush, replaced the oil (10w 40 semi) and filter and checked again but there was not a major improvement. Since then I`ve done all the MOT work and it`s maiden voyage was the 30 mile drive home from work, While I was impressed with how well it drove I did notice that even at 60 mph on the motorway the oil pressure never goes above 1/4 way along the gauge.

The thing is, it`s not exhibiting any features you`d expect from a motor with low oil pressure, it has 137K miles on it but it sounds absolutely sweet, no knocks rattles or grumbling from the bottom end, no excessive back pressure with the filler cap removed, seems to be plenty oil making it`s way upto the the top end so it`s got me a bit stumped.

I`m going to try and get a lend of an oil pressure tester at the weekend to check the actual pressure but does anyone know what the pressure should be on these? Also are they prone to wear on the oil pressure switch? I`m just hoping it`s simply a duff switch but if not any ideas on wher to start?

Cheers

John

Oil pressure sounds about normal for these trucks

Only time mine went higher was when I used a thicker viscosity oil than recommended.

Comment

My gauge is low too perhaps a little higher than yours after hours of surfing seems they're all like that.

Last edited by Ploddit; 19 April 2011, 17:46.

Comment

Thanks for the reply`s, has put my mind at rest a little, after some digging I`ve found the acceptable range for the oil pressure is 2.5 to 6 bar at 3000 rpm, also found an old oil pressure tester at work today so I`ll give it a check at the weekend.

What kind of oil are you gents running? According to autodata it can use 10w 40 or alternatively 20w 50 for moderate climates, I`m sure 20w 50 would bring the pressure right up but I haven't used it since my mini owning days!

Comment

Sorry to chime in on this thread but how much oil do these beasts use normally.
          Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
            Sorry to chime in on this thread but how much oil do these beasts use normally.
            None.

I check mine daily and change it every 5k miles, I've never topped it up between changes.
            Last edited by Albannach; 29 May 2011, 09:59. Reason: Removal of a random £ symbol!
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I use 20/50 in the air/cooled BMW motorbikes 10/40 for liquid cooled IMHO.

Comment

Just a quick confirmation about oil usage from my own Surf. I just got back from my road journey to Spain via France and it didn't use a drop of oil.

Not only did it not miss a beat, i managed 400 miles a tank at a steady 75mph with a bootfull of gear to include tools and spares. Suffice to say, my next roadtrip to Spain i won't be taking quite so many tools or spares.

The only thing that has occured is the ABS warning light on the way back came on and i need to see what's causing that.

However, awesome vehicle, and probably one of the very best cars i've ever owned!!
                Now it's time to play!

Comment

oil amount

7.5 litres including filter change ...

mine drank 5 and a bit the other month when i changed it, although due to funds i left the fliter alone... (i know bad move and not my normal practice ..shes onthe list to be done)

Comment

it should take 6.5l inc filter change.On all the surfs i have worked on i have never put over 6.5l max
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

6.5Ltrs is exactly what mine took including filter change.
                      Now it's time to play!

Comment

my old 3.0l the oil pressure gauge only ever went to slightly over the 1st mark and when hot was on the 1st mark but all these trucks read different anyway.
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

odd numbers...

6.5 liter oil change sounds good... or atleast cheaper.. i was just going by my hand book ..

Comment

Toyota Engine Oil Capacities

Here are the specifications from Toyota.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X