No announcement yet.

Viscous fan oil replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty sure it was 10,000 we put in mine.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
      Pretty sure it was 10,000 we put in mine.
      I started of with putting about 20ml of 7000 in mine, but after reading the above thread I removed it and made it up to 50ml.

It seems to be on too much but when the motor is hot (and just switched off) it hasn't been what I'd call stiff.

I've only done idling plus a warmed up 2 mile trip - even though it's touching 30° down here today.

I'll keep an eye on it and report.

Comment

Is this the same procedure for a 3rd gen?

Might have a look at mine this weekend.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

It will be, but be sure to have an impact driver or you'll chew the screw heads up. H

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
            It will be, but be sure to have an impact driver or you'll chew the screw heads up. H
            Not got an impact driver so I'll leave it for now.

Checked it & it seems quite stiff, well stiff-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
              Not got an impact driver so I'll leave it for now.

Checked it & it seems quite stiff, well stiff-ish.
              Means nothing Si, the fan only works as it should once the temps are up.
              £8, cheap enough and does the job.

http://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk/...river-set.html
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                Means nothing Si, the fan only works as it should once the temps are up.
                £8, cheap enough and does the job.

http://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk/...river-set.html
                My mate has one in his garage so he may be getting an unexpected visitor over the weekend.

Comment

Well my surf was getting warm when towing the caravan up hills, done everything else, new rad, water pump, all pipes, thermostat, checked elec fan, fitted transmission oil cooler behind lower front valance etc.... but still getting too hot towing uphill.

I've changed the oil on my viscous fan this morning and what a difference. If you have any overheating problems on your surf, or if you are going to tow with it, this cheap and easy viscous fan service is essential.

I bought some 6000 silicone oil on ebay, cost £4, its shock oil for radio control cars! The oil left in my fan, was a golden colour, and looked a bit thicker than the new stuff. There wasn't much of it, so I left it in and just put in about 40ml of the new stuff, until I'd filled up the clutch side, then all back together. It is noticably stiffer when cold (it was free wheeling before). And when you rev the engine now, even when cold, it is blowing a gale under the bonnet. I could not believe the difference. When you rev the engine now, the amount of air being pulled through the rad spins up the elec fan in front of the radiator too. In fact, at idle, it's enough to turn the elec fan at low speed. And you get that nice roar at 2000 revvs. Having the fan on a bit too much will probably affect the fuel economy a bit, but hey, if it keeps the head cool its got to be worth it.

Give it a go, I'd say this is essential for any surf in the uk, especially if you are towing. And I'd say 6000 grade oil is probably a bit too high, try 4000 or 3000 like toyota spec.

Cheers

Comment

What viscosity is recommended then? there's talk of 3k to 10k. Ebay RC cars seem to use 'em all.
                    So which one do I get, bear in mind when I tow, it's generally really heavy...
                    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Use the 10k stuff.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        Use the 10k stuff.
                        £6. on it's way!
                        Ta.
                        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Share the seller's name for the benefit of those who bother to search.

Comment

Share the seller's name for the benefit of those who bother to search.
                            Sure:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3304620532...84.m1497.l2649

Seller NTWARDS

Twas actually £5.70 for 45ml delivered. Having took the fan off the other day, and owning an impact driver, I hope to do this mod in about 10 mins....
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

20 minutes - 12 hours. it's best to flush the old fluid out with petrol.

I stripped and cleaned mine, left it overnight (for the petrol to flash off) then rebuilt and refitted the next day.

Comment

20 minutes - 12 hours. it's best to flush the old fluid out with petrol.

I stripped and cleaned mine, left it overnight (for the petrol to flash off) then rebuilt and refitted the next day.
                                Damn! I knew it seemed too straight forward! So, it's demount, take apart, pour out old oil, bathe in petrol,(overnight?) then re fit? Looks like another weekend job then!
                                Thx for info.
                                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                                X