Tailgate Window (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate Window (again)

Hi - tailgate window problems that got steadily worse and now the window won't close fully with a couple of inches open at top.
    I've read through most of the many threads here and tried all the simpler fixes. Motor removed and checked ok, runners, channels, gears and sliders all cleaned and lubed up. It was just slow and a bit sticky before and I should have lived with that, but it seems now to have broken something in the gear mechanism at the top of the travel. Much clicking and window wont move up the last few inches.
    I'm looking to replace the whole lot (motor + gearing etc) with a s/h assembly, but I'm not sure how to remove the glass and gearing/runners etc from the tailgate. It looks hellish awkward and taking the motor off is a right fiddle on it's own. I also see dire warning about glass falling out and things in the gearing mechanism springing apart and cutting off fingers etc.
    Any step by step advice or pictures please? (before I shatter the glass or end up with a completely non functional rear window)....Keith
    Ahhh....skinned knuckles and heavy hammers...

Tailgate Window (again)

Does your window work on both the key and console switch?...if yes then maybe someone can tell you what you need to know!

If not you may want to check the window circuit board first as the relays could of burnt out, the circuit board is behind the n/s paneling next to the tailgate, its about the size of a cigarette packet and from a Toyota dealer is about £400 new but can be repaired for a fraction of the cost with relays from Maplins and a friendly radio repairers to do the soldering.

I'm hoping someone else can provide you with the links to the part numbers etc as I can't remember them (it was about 5 yrs ago when I repaired the circuit board for £20) £10 for the relays inc p&p and £10 for the soldering.

When you get the relay part number don't bother with the Maplin shops as they don't stock them you need to buy them from the on-line shop.

Comment

Have you checked the key switch in the tailgate ..............go here

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...erating+switch

Comment

Thanks for these suggestions - the electrics seem to be fine. With the clunking near the top of travel, it's sounding more like a mechanical problem on the geared plates that engage with the motor drive sprocket to move the window on it's cantilevered sliders. But how do you get the whole enchilada out of the tailgate without breaking bits?

Comment

Have you seen this before....

http://daemon4x4.org/portal/articles.php?rid=0

Comment

Thanks Axelgs - yes, it's a very useful guide to getting the motor out and opening it up. I used that as my main guide to exploring the problem and everything electrical works as it should. I'm now suspicious that I've displaced something out of line in the cantilever drive when I had the motor out and that was maybe the reason it's now then started to clunk and jam a few inches from closed. It was working sluggishly before, but did eventually shut completely after several ups and downs. Since I cleaned and lubed the gears and sliders it's really quick up and down now on both key and button, to a few inches from closed, then it jams up and clunks repeatedly. Of course, the heated window and rear wiper don't work too.
            Wish I'd left the b.u.g.g.e.r alone now....k

Comment

Ok ...I suppose what you need to do now is take off the trim and metal plate to expose the mechanicals in the tailgate..... lower the back tailgate down....... get a mate to hold the rear window as you operate it up and down....this should show you either by ear or by eye whats causing the noise.....

Comment

Originally posted by poseidon View Post
                Hi - tailgate window problems that got steadily worse and now the window won't close fully with a couple of inches open at top.
                I've read through most of the many threads here and tried all the simpler fixes. Motor removed and checked ok, runners, channels, gears and sliders all cleaned and lubed up. It was just slow and a bit sticky before and I should have lived with that, but it seems now to have broken something in the gear mechanism at the top of the travel. Much clicking and window wont move up the last few inches.
                I'm looking to replace the whole lot (motor + gearing etc) with a s/h assembly, but I'm not sure how to remove the glass and gearing/runners etc from the tailgate. It looks hellish awkward and taking the motor off is a right fiddle on it's own. I also see dire warning about glass falling out and things in the gearing mechanism springing apart and cutting off fingers etc.
                Any step by step advice or pictures please? (before I shatter the glass or end up with a completely non functional rear window)....Keith
                hi
                if you think it,s the motor and you dont want to buy one to try then borrow the motor off the n/s/r window winder motor the only thing different is the wires are a bit longer but still works ok
                hope this helps

Comment

Yeah, that's certainly an option ....Knowing my luck, if it's a partly stripped gear section near the end of the drive plate, it'll mince the replacement motor drive sprocket.
                  I've got the possibility of a complete motor/drive assembly at a reasonable price and in good order, so maybe it's simpler just to replace the whole lot, BUT how do you get the drive assembly and sliders out of the tailgate and the glass out of the drive???? All the door lock and operating lever mechanisms look as if they need to be stripped out before you can access whatever holds the window and its operating assembly in place.... maybe a drafty 2 inch gap at the top of the back window is easier to live with than that, now that spring is coming....k

Comment

Update - all sorted now, by replacing the whole mechanism (motor, drive mechanism etc). Reasonably cheap for s/h parts (£70) and the removal and fitting of the whole replacement mechanism took about 35 minutes.

Main point to note is that you don't need to actually remove the tailgate window from the tailgate and the whole actuating mechanism assembly just slides away from the glass with a bit of juggling and after removing 4 bolts and various clips and connectors. Set the window to midway open and everything should uncouple and refit without too much aggro. I'm not sure why people seem to think that the glass can be shattered and fingers cut off doing this job as it's really a piece of p***, even for me with my limited mechanical skills....Keith

Comment

I have had these exact symptoms and it turned out the teeth on the regulator assembly had got corroded and worn down at the top of the travel.

The matching teeth on the motor were not engaging and the cogs were slipping against each other with dire clunking noises.

Replacement of whole regulator assembly required - £100 including new motor, vat and courier.

Rgds

Ian

Comment

Just replaced the rear mechanism in mine. Took a bit longer than it did poseidon, but easy enough with window set half way.
                        While in there is found this random dangling wire (at back of first photo). Anyone know where it belongs? Two wires twisted and soldered together. One black with some red 'dashes' and one white with a black stripe and red 'dashes. Passenger side of tailgate. For what its worth colours match the wires to the rear screen heater/demist. Can't see where it is supposed to go.
                        Last edited by Jonthefish; 30 April 2019, 21:14.

Comment

Working...
                        X