Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad driving vibration

Hello, been a while since i been here

I have a very very bad vibration when driving the truck, it come on from about 20mph. had wheel bearing checked, balancing checked and tyre pressures etc etc all done. when revving the engine from under the bonnet it seems to kick about quite a bit, so i had engine mounts changed, no difference tho.
    prop shaft seems to bee fine apart from feeling a little backlash in the diff.
    when driving the only way to stop the vibration is to take foot off accelerator pedal which pretty much stop the vibration instantly.
    Also have a tinny rattling type sound which can only best be described as a piece of wire being thrown about in a hollow tube. this sound comes and goes.

I know its hard to diagnose a fault just using this description , but already wasted £150 and 3 garages havent got a clue and 2 others wont touch it......

Help please

many thanks

Manual or auto?

If manual it sounds like (from your description) that the dual mass flywheel is breaking up.

Comment

Its a auto kzn130, 1955.

Comment

Before you start ripping Gearboxes off check your prop uj (universal joints) the x piece that holds the ends of the props together wear and that produces a nasty vibration that your describing put hand break on stick it in neutral get underneath it and rotate your props one at a Time they should spin but not wobble so give it a shake as your turning them. The part is about £15 each mate I know you have checked your props already but double check the uj I had same prob on mine and took ages to find what it was I also checked prop but I left it in park when I checked it.
        Last edited by sabreuk; 14 March 2011, 17:07.
        UBIQUE

Comment

sabreuk... right followed you advice by sticking it in neutral, which i didn't have before, low and behold its the rear UJ on diff ( yay ) . spoke to a mechanic that then said that these are "spiked" when they are put in and not circlips . can anyone confirm or tell me if this is true ? or can it be done on my drive easliy enough.

many thanks

Comment

no probs mate, on your other question im sure mine had circlips on but mines a gen 2.4auto not sure if the props are different on other varients you may wish to check ebay or roughtrax to get a better idea which one you need, you can do the job yourself on your drive but if they are jammed from being warn you may need a vice a big hammer and chisel to knock the old bit out so thats your call bud, i did mine on my drive and replaced both ends whilst the prop was off then it was a piece of mind that that was done.
            UBIQUE

Comment

Says here that its got circlips
              http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=163&vid=192

Comment

Defo your UJ mate. Mine did same recently, got advise off here, and changed it myself, quite an easy job.
                www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

mornin' all

UJ'sa re dead easy to change, don't bother trying to repair it with new circlips & nedle roller bearings, just get a new one and bolt it on.

Roughtrax or Milners and about £20 each I think

hope this helps

hawaii
                  I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

it is circliped, and you'll need the use of a large vice and a couple of large sockets (one for pushing the old cup and one for going around the hole in the drive shaft), as for the hammer option you'll be there for quite a while battering it into submission, if you have a look on ebay i found the UJ for a tenner + p&p

Comment

thanks

I had this same problem. It started about 12 months ago and only occasionally, but soon became a constant problem. I also got an odd squeek when reversing which i couldn't trace to anything.

I ordered the UJ from Milners and had it fitted at my garage. (takes a lot of heat to remove the old one). All sorted now. Vibration gone and squeek when reversing gone.

Thanks for the advice, i thought it was something serious like a gearbox or diff.

My truck goes on to fight another day!!

Comment

Last wee tip, don't fit it back to front, you won't be able to grease it if you do.
                        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Tjillard View Post
                          (takes a lot of heat to remove the old one)
                          No it doesn't.
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                            No it doesn't.
                            Pedant
                            www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                              Last wee tip, don't fit it back to front, you won't be able to grease it if you do.
                              The latest offerings from R/T and Milners have a very short grease nipple and you can't get a normal sized grease gun nozzle in , (see other threads), so it may be an idea to see if you can get a couple of longer/angled ones, but just make sure they don't foul against the prop. I have just got my u/j's from Milners for £10 each + vat.

Cheers, Nick
                              "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Working...
                              X