Drinking water!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking water!!

Having a problem with ssrx 3.0 drinking aprox 2 ltr of every 20 miles! just had a new rad fitted and have been told that it could be air locks! Seems like a lot of water to me! Have had it presure and chemical tested twice, ok both times. Going to try bruping the system. Any ideas or comments could it still be the head?

Thanks

Keep a check on the oil on your dipstick and inside your filler cap for signs of water contamination.
    Also could you tell me where you located your new rad, may need one myself unless I can get mine repaired.

Comment

Have a look on toyotahilux.com £325 for a new or contact me by e-mail will give u my local garage details for a re-con £200 fitted!

Comment

If the oils clean, no leaks anywhere and its not making white smoke there can't be to much wrong.

Make sure both the heater controls are on hot when filling up, and leave it running and its warmed up as you fill it up.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Had a bad "loss of coolant" in my 3L. Trouble was a "porous" head - hair line cracks around the no.1 port (?). Anyway it was leaking coolant big time over a long trip and only replacing the head stopped it. The cracked head seemed to have been caused by overheating and so I had a new radiator fitted. This didn't stop the overheating and so I have had the rad upgraded from 3 to 5 core. Had to loose the viscous coupling though to get the new rad in but I haven't had any overheating problems even beating up and down the M6/M5 to Cornwall and back at the weekends.
          @africa4x4cafe
          [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            If the oils clean, no leaks anywhere and its not making white smoke there can't be to much wrong.

Make sure both the heater controls are on hot when filling up, and leave it running and its warmed up as you fill it up.

This is my first entery. Any way, I just re-built my 3.0 in my '91 4 runner.
            Only problem it over heats. I take out the thermostat and it runs cool/normal. Put it in, it overheats. From what I have read in the FAQ's, it points to the head gaskets.
            Could you please verify/explain this theory to me before I proceed on replacement. Last Q: How long can one drive with out a thermosat?

Thank You,

Al

Comment

quote;-This is my first entery. Any way, I just re-built my 3.0 in my '91 4 runner.
              Only problem it over heats. I take out the thermostat and it runs cool/normal. Put it in, it overheats. From what I have read in the FAQ's, it points to the head gaskets.
              Could you please verify/explain this theory to me before I proceed on replacement. Last Q: How long can one drive with out a thermosat?

Thank You,

Al

the thermostat stops the flow of water in the engine when cold so the engine will get up to operating temperature quicker, once at operating temperature it opens and closes in relation to the temperature of the coolant,its purpose is to keep the engine at its operating temperature.if you run your engine without a thermostat it takes longer to heat up from cold because the water is circulating all the time and it may not even reach operating temperature.
              the problems with running your engine without a thermostat are
              1. increased engine wear(because the engine is colder for longer.most engine wear occurs when cold because of the increased clearances in the engine,(metal expands with heat)
              2.increased diesel consumption(lose more energy from combustion to heat loss)

did you replace the thermostat with a new one and see if it still overheated?
              if it still overheats with new thermostat you must have another problem

Comment

Working...
              X