Radiator emulsion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator emulsion

I've had oil emulsion in the rad water for a long time now, I've always meant to flush the water system out but never got round to it.
    As I'm off on a two week road trip starting this weekend I thought I'd better do something about it. There was more emulsion than water!

How do I tell if it's oil ingress from the engine via the head gasket, or if it's internal corrosion of the radiator itself?
    Im assuming the rad doubles as an oil cooler?
    Cheers,
    Sean

its more likely to be the oil cooler in the rad, you can pressure test the cooling system to see if head gasket is the problem, but its unusual.

check your AFT fluid, if its got water in it you'll know its the rad.

I'd disconnect the AFT hoses from bottom, join them together then run it to pressurise the cooling system and see if you get leaks out the cooler pips.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

There's a cooler in the bottom of the radiator for the transmission fluid, they have been known to fail.
      Drain the trans fluid to see if it's cloudy, this will confirm the cooler is leaking into the coolant. You'll be re-newing the fluid anyway before a long trip, won't you.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        There's a cooler in the bottom of the radiator for the transmission fluid, they have been known to fail.
        Drain the trans fluid to see if it's cloudy, this will confirm the cooler is leaking into the coolant. You'll be re-newing the fluid anyway before a long trip, won't you.
        and changing the rad.....if you do its worth doing the top and bottom hoses at the same time. the rad on a 3rd gen is a bit of a fiddley job cos you have to undo the bolts from the front and the air con gubbins gets in the way a bit. but it dont take long
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

I did take a quick look at the gear oil dip stick for signs of water, but I guess any water would be at the bottom and wouldn't show up till there's enough of it.
          I've not got time to change it now, I'll have to see to it when I get back.

Next question, how much should a new rad set me back (remember I'm a poor person)
          Cheers,
          Sean

Comment

Originally posted by SeanH View Post
            I did take a quick look at the gear oil dip stick for signs of water, but I guess any water would be at the bottom and wouldn't show up till there's enough of it.
            I've not got time to change it now, I'll have to see to it when I get back.

Next question, how much should a new rad set me back (remember I'm a poor person)

If it is the radiator thats the cause, just fit a seperate transmission cooler and link the two cooler pipes on the radiator.

Comment

How hot does the tranny get, is a cooler really needed?
              Cheers,
              Sean

Comment

How hot does the tranny get, is a cooler really needed?
                Very!

Comment

Dont want to lecture, but, I would not head off anywhere in my Surf if I thought for 1 minute I had communication between the rad and the tranny cooler. How expensive do you think a wrecked transmission could be? More than a radiator , thats for sure. I think one of the least expensive ways round this is to fit a tranny cooler, and bypass and plug off the in built one. You can carry on with the radiator you have. Just make sure you fit one that will provide sufficient cooling.

Bogus
                  Сви можемо

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ditto

Comment

I don't have any spare cash for a new rad right now, the trip can't be put off (it's my own wedding) and I have a spare gearbox in the garage
                      Cheers,
                      Sean

Comment

Bit of a dilemma then. Have you considered cancelling or postponing the wedding ?
                        Сви можемо

Comment

I don't have any spare cash for a new rad right now, the trip can't be put off (it's my own wedding) and I have a spare gearbox in the garage
                          £200. for a rad or probably a lot cheaper for a trany cooler. a lot less hassle than the gearbox going andhaving to wait for a breakdown service on your wedding, that would go down like a bowl full of sick in my house
                          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

yeah, but up here we don't really give a $hit what the woman thinks lol. H

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
                              yeah, but up here we don't really give a $hit what the woman thinks lol. H
                              enjoy

Comment

Working...
                              X