Steering loose...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering loose...

Im feeling, only on rough roads, like the sterring column has some free movements.I change all the front end parts, inluding steering rack bushing. So must be something in the column itself, what can it be?Where can i find those parts?

Try the rack bushes first, its very common on 3rd gens for them to be loose.

There is a poly bush kit to replace the rubber mounts, its very good.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

if its not the rack bushes - which you said you have replaced

i had similar movement on my LC colorado. same steering system.
      with help of a friend we had checked all the tie-rod ends and the rack bushes.
      i had the front of vehcile on axle stands, both wheels in air and got friend to push/pull on either side of one of the wheels so i could hear and feel the "clunking" that i first noticed driving on rough tracks slowly offroad (felt through steering wheel),
      and we tracked it down to top of steering rack, wheere the steering wheel joins it

on the drivers side of the rack and facing towards the rear, below where the steering link from steering wheel joins - there is a big lock-ring with hex shaped insert.
      i loosened the lockring and slightly tightened up the inner part - this stopped the knocking. it is some form of preload on the rack.
      careful how much you tighten it, it only needed a small bit
      you may need to back-off the tightness after winding it in. and also check to make sure steering doesnt "bind" after adjustment

here is similar issue on a subaru
      http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...uestion-24067/
      Last edited by andycook; 28 February 2011, 15:53.
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

[QUOTE=andycook;701349]if its not the rack bushes - which you said you have replaced

i had similar movement on my LC colorado. same steering system.
        with help of a friend we had checked all the tie-rod ends and the rack bushes.
        i had the front of vehcile on axle stands, both wheels in air and got friend to push/pull on either side of one of the wheels so i could hear and feel the "clunking" that i first noticed driving on rough tracks slowly offroad (felt through steering wheel),
        and we tracked it down to top of steering rack, wheere the steering wheel joins it

on the drivers side of the rack and facing towards the rear, below where the steering link from steering wheel joins - there is a big lock-ring with hex shaped insert.
        i loosened the lockring and slightly tightened up the inner part - this stopped the knocking. it is some form of preload on the rack.
        careful how much you tighten it, it only needed a small bit
        you may need to back-off the tightness after winding it in. and also check to make sure steering doesnt "bind" after adjustment

thanks, will chek it out.

Comment

Originally posted by andycook View Post
          if its not the rack bushes - which you said you have replaced

Ooops, I read that as I'll change... not I have...

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X