Starting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problem

I've got an occasional starting problem that is driving me mad. There's a short stutter after turning the key then nothing. This is repeated half a dozen times until it suddenly spurts into life. Every time it is front of a mechanic it doesn't do it! The batteries have been tested and they are fine.

A bit off the wall, but I've managed to capture some audio of one of its briefer blips - desperate measures and all that! It's been doing this on and off for the last 6 months until a couple of weeks ago when there was absolutely zilch when the key was turned. The mobile mechanic who came out said a wire had burnt out on the starter motor and took it away to have it refurbished. It has been fine again until the last couple of days when the short stutter started again.

Anyone know what it might be?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8659626508ccb871/

Hi Mate,

Are you sure its not the standard problem with the starter motor..mainly the contacts need changing. When my starter motor played up it worked for weeks on and off until it finally went. My start up sound with this problem was similar to your audio sound.

Comment

Another vote for starter motor contacts or possibly poor connection of the main cables to the starter motor?
      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by axelgs1 View Post
        Hi Mate,

Are you sure its not the standard problem with the starter motor..mainly the contacts need changing. When my starter motor played up it worked for weeks on and off until it finally went. My start up sound with this problem was similar to your audio sound.
        Would the contacts get changed when the starter motor was taken away to be refurbished?

Comment

As Flash says....could also be a loose connection somewhere. Do you get any clicking when turning the ingnition key? If you know the mechanic well ....he should have told you what he did and if he good the refurbishment should include new contacts arrowed (absolute must) and all of the items outside the square. The arm plunger in the middle is a option but advisable to replace as well.

Contacts

Full refurbishment Kit. Contacts arrowed
          Last edited by axelgs1; 16 February 2011, 00:29.

Comment

Working...
          X