Strange gearbox problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange gearbox problem

I've got a 94 3.0 ssr-x and recently I noticed the sound of a relay opening and closing randomly from near the pedals, only problem is it only happens when the car is being driven, kinda hard to put your head by your feet and drive :p this has been happening for a couple of days and now the gearbox is 'holding' it's gears too long. Usually the gears shifted around 1500-2000 rpm and it was smooth, since this problem started the gears shift at 3000+ rpm unless I back the throttle off. Hopefully it's a simple fix 'cos no way am I parting with the surf but I know how expensive it is to have the box reconditioned.
    has anyone got any ideas what this could be and if it's terminal has anyone got a used auto box that is low mileage?

try the fault codes for the engine and gearbox, something like the TPS could be fooling the ECU into thinking you have your foot down hard, so leaving the changes to higher up the rev range.

To get the gearbox codes do the same as in the sticky thread in tech forums to do the engine codes, but the press the O/D button as well to get the O/D light flashing

Give all the relays by your feet a good tug to see if one is lose, only time I've had a clicking by feet it was the elec aerial relay playing up.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

just noticed another thread and the problem was similar, could it be since i changed the batteries? i changed them 1 at a time so the alarm didn't kick off and thought that would be ok cos there was always 12v being supplied to the system, is it possible that the ECU has gone a bit tits anyway?

Comment

....and I'll check the codes, thanks

Comment

Ect?
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

nah, daft i may be but dim i'm not

Comment

Originally posted by wasp132 View Post
              nah, daft i may be but dim i'm not
              I thought you said you couldn't tell what it is? If you don't know what it is, how can you say what it isn't?

Comment

i know it's not the spare tyre and that's a certainty

Comment

Excellent, now we're getting somewhere. Has your trouble-shooting discounted anything else?

Comment

I'll just go and make sure I haven't left my 'relays of the world' cd in the stereo and get back to you

Comment

I doubt it will be that, but it's worth a try.

Comment

lol, blocked filter, maybe 150+k miles is too long to ignore changing the atf?

Comment

relay clicking has stopped now.....and the surf has developed a new habit since it did. from cold, it holds 1st gear until 3000 rpm unless i feather the throttle, completely fine after a mile or two. Is it possible the relay has something to do with the throttle position sensor?
                          Last edited by wasp132; 16 August 2011, 20:41.

Comment

ok, now it's August and the problem persists......in fact it seems to be getting slightly worse. It used to take less than a mile for the change to get back to normal but now it's more like 2 miles before it'll change up from 1st normally. Feathering the throttle seems to help (changes at 2000 rpm then). Took the truck green-laning a few times and it's behaved perfectly but after each expedition the problem has got slightly worse. I'm still wondering if the TPS could be the culprit or could a sticky solenoid in the autobox be the most likely problem?
                            never did find out what the clicking relay was either?

Comment

I don't suppose you've got the ECT button pushed in have you?
                              Mike G

Comment

Working...
                              X