Auto box problem after jet washing.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto box problem after jet washing.?

Had a good look through the Autobox problems via the search but didn't find anything quite like my problem.
    After giving the Surf a nice valet I decided the engine bay looked a bit dirty so decided to jet wash it to brighten it up a bit. Now this may or may not be connected but does seem like a bit of a coincidence, since doing this the Surf (1996 3rd gen KZN185) won't seem to go into the final gear or lock up I think it is called? Allways used to really drop revs at around 55mph but now does not do this and sits in 3rd or whatever it is before the last gear. All other gears work fine including reverse etc. Overdrive still works as if I press the o/d button it changes down immediately, oil changed last year and at right level etc.
    Just thought maybe I had gotten some water somewhere where it wasn't supposed to be. Anyone know which relays or plug connectors or associated wiring for the box is in the engine bay worth checking? Or any other ideas?

Thanks
    Pete.
    Last edited by phoenixpete; 14 February 2011, 01:49.

Fluid level OK?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Fluid level OK?
      Yes sorry, just edited for fluid level. and checked correctly eg, hot ,running ,run through gears etc.

Comment

Could be just a coincidence then.
        Only other things to check that would cause the problem are electrical connections on the engine, (maybe the TPS) that may have got soaked and that the fusebox is dry inside.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Could be just a coincidence then.
          Only other things to check that would cause the problem are electrical connections on the engine, (maybe the TPS) that may have got soaked and that the fusebox is dry inside.
          Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will have a good look at all electrical connections and make sure everything is dry.
          Will post Monday night if nothing works.

Comment

I have similar syptoms on my KZN130 but I've never jetwashed the engine bay.
            Mine is intermittent and only happens after I've been driving on the motorway for some time. Suddenly loses the ability to lock the torque converter but still has the overdrive gear working.

I've done a bit of research and at the moment I'm putting it down to ECU problems. I think it is around £200 to have it fixed.

If you find yours to be something different then I'd like to know.

Comment

I had a similar problem on my kzn130 gen2 after a good polishing inside...
              i noticed it would not change up till i got to 65mph....
              Was getting concerned till i noticed i had pressed the ect button down......

Not as good as when i jetwashed it and the ecu died completley.....
              But thats another story.....
              Remember arrows are silent.....................
              Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Well had a good look today. Disconnected the batteries to reset the ECU as suggested in one of the "search" articles I found and while they were disconnected I unplugged all the engine bay connections I could and gave them a good blow with the airline,checked in the fuse box all was dry but I blew it out anyway. Put it all back together and took it for a run.
                Not sure what the problem was ie. reset ECU or if a connection was wet but it is fine now, back to all gears including lockup. 2200rpm at 70mph I am pretty sure that is around what it used to be.
                Didn't go very far but got up to temperature and made sure all gears were working, changes to lockup at around 53/54 mph with light throttle and the ect off.
                Does this seem about right?
                P.S. Just hope that's cured it for good.

Thanks for the help.

Pete.

Comment

Working...
                X