Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump failure...big style!

Hi all,

I was having some cooling problems with my '96 2nd Gen before Xmas and I thought I was headed for the cylinder head replacement scenario. I was losing coolant regularly, but no clouds of smoke or evidence of a leak anywhere. Of course, I was topping up with water all the time and putting off proper investigation. As a trucker, I use the Surf to go to work on Monday and it gets left all week until I return Friday. So it doesn't get a lot of use. Anyway, it hit -15 at our yard on a couple of occasions. Not good! On my way home the temp went through the roof! I got it home by stopping and waiting for it to cool down a couple of times, and it has been parked up ever since.

Now that the weather has improved I got to check it out. Topping up, water was coming straight out from the water pump, so I took it apart to see what was up. Look at the pics to see what I found!

Anyone seen anything like this before?
    Attached Files
    Crack on drive!

Yep, a few times.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Not enough antifreeze?
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        Not enough antifreeze?
        Yep, another case of folk not understanding what it's for.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          Yep, another case of folk not understanding what it's for.
          Useful comments!
          Crack on drive!

Comment

Not enough antifreeze?
            Did you read the post?

"I was losing coolant regularly, but no clouds of smoke or evidence of a leak anywhere. Of course, I was topping up with water all the time and putting off proper investigation."
            Last edited by AngloSaxon; 12 February 2011, 21:14.
            Crack on drive!

Comment

Originally posted by AngloSaxon View Post
              Useful comments!
              You didn't ask for comments. My reply is a statement, not a comment. I suggest you wind your neck in a wee bit. Nobody cares if you pi$$ me off, but you don't want to start trying to be a smart arse with Tony.

Comment

You didn't ask for comments. My reply is a statement, not a comment. I suggest you wind your neck in a wee bit. Nobody cares if you pi$$ me off, but you don't want to start trying to be a smart arse with Tony.
                Up yourself a bit aren't you? Do you really think I don't know what anti-freeze is for? I pointed out that I hadn't used it because i was having to top up all the time. Why put anti-freeze in when it would just come straight out? So why make a comment (or statement as you wish), to that effect? What useful purpose could that possibly have except to try and wind me up? You idiot! Wind your own neck in and if you've nothing useful to say, say nothing!
                Crack on drive!

Comment

Anyone seen anything like this before?
                  Not enough antifreeze?
                  What part of that deserved a rant? Every car i've seen thats frozen does that, or it tears the teeth off the belt if it runs off the cambelt, you asked what caused it!!! I said 'what' I thought caused it, and Andy said 'why' it happened.

Where to start....

1/ Your truck had a cracked head, you've been topping it up with water, diluted coolant means your pump impeller froze in -15 temps, when you started the truck it screwed the impeller off the shaft, truck overheated because no coolant was circulating.

2/ Your truck had a small coolant leak, you've been topping it up with water, diluted coolant means your pump impeller froze in -15 temps, when you started the truck it screwed the impeller off the shaft, truck overheated and has cracked the head because no coolant was circulating.

3/ Who cares now seeing as what a friendly chap you are.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Where to start....

1/ Your truck had a cracked head, you've been topping it up with water, diluted coolant means your pump impeller froze in -15 temps, when you started the truck it screwed the impeller off the shaft, truck overheated because no coolant was circulating.
                    That was exactly my diagnosis when i saw the pic of the water pump
                    Good lesson for all of us... although even i was topping up with antifreeze when mine was using water as didnt want the block to freeze, but antifreeze also contains rust inhibitors aswell ..
                    Ahwell we live and learn

Comment

Up yourself a bit aren't you?
                      Nope

Do you really think I don't know what anti-freeze is for?
                      Yes, otherwise you'd have used it.

I pointed out that I hadn't used it because i was having to top up all the time. Why put anti-freeze in when it would just come straight out?
                      Because if you don't use it the pump could fail (usually the rotor falls off).

So why make a comment (or statement as you wish), to that effect? What useful purpose could that possibly have except to try and wind me up? You idiot! Wind your own neck in and if you've nothing useful to say, say nothing!
                      If you think I was trying to wind you up, you clearly don't know me; that said, it's nice to know you are so easy.

Comment

i used to see this every winter when i was working with motorbikes, yamaha RD LC's were common at the time and the average 17 yr old doesn't seem to think antifreeze is important....or 2-stroke oil, brake pads,brake fluid, brake shoes, tyre tread, chain lube

Comment

Originally posted by wasp132 View Post
                          i used to see this every winter when i was working with motorbikes, yamaha RD LC's were common at the time and the average 17 yr old doesn't seem to think antifreeze is important....or 2-stroke oil, brake pads,brake fluid, brake shoes, tyre tread, chain lube
                          Keep going, you've missed about a dozen more thing they forget mate.
                          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Nope

Yes, otherwise you'd have used it.

Because if you don't use it the pump could fail (usually the rotor falls off).

he should count himself lucky it was just the pump and he didn't crack the cylinder block, core plugs can only relieve so much pressure

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                              Keep going, you've missed about a dozen more thing they forget mate.
                              clutch cables, brake levers, clutch levers, footpegs, straight handlebars, tail-light lenses,headlight bulbs,swingarm bearings, damper oil, fork oil seals (had one wondered why his forks were solid, water had filled them past the seals)

Comment

Working...
                              X