Sandwich plate Fuel Heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandwich plate Fuel Heater?

I was looking at a fuel preheater as swapping over to Vege. Whilst thinking about it I wondered if anyone had used a sandwich plate between the fuel filter and its housing to divert the fuel through a heater and then back on its way?

The only reason I thought about it was that when I fitted my skyline with an oil cooler the sandwich plate take-off was a tidy solution - I wasnt sure if the idea could be reversed to heat rather than cool?

There may be easier tidier ways of doing this or it may have been donw before so apologies if this is a repeat thread

Fuel Heater

This is what i made up for heating veggie oil and it has worked a treat
    and very simple to make with just a few bits readily available from a plumbers shop and a length of 10mm microbore copper pipe, filled with sand, then bent around the main unit. This one heats the fuel before and after the fuel filter, using the coolant heat before it goes into the matrix. Has worked without fault for years on my truck

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

I used a heat exchanger from a TD5 once the stainless bracket is removed it can be mounted wherever then and it is stainless as well
      I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

I thought copper shouldn't be used with WVO/SVO?
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I think you are right about the copper it's something to do with the acids that are present in wvo but allegedly if the copper is chromed it helps with the reaction
          I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            I thought copper shouldn't be used with WVO/SVO?

Really no idea about that... but then i was using new veggie oil, and it not only sounded ALOT sweeter, gave more power AND returned better MPG and had that nice 'just cooked' smell

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterSurf View Post
              Really no idea about that... but then i was using new veggie oil, and it not only sounded ALOT sweeter, gave more power AND returned better MPG and had that nice 'just cooked' smell
              SVO is new oil.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I posted this a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post

Thats a very neat solution!

Comment

So I take it that Clio solution is fed with coolant water as well.

Comment

Plate heat exchangers

The plate heat exchangers of the type used in combi boilers are brillient, high capacity, stainless and they really do heat the oil superbly.

Wrap it in some lagging cuz they get very hot.
                      john

PS
                      Copper with SVO AND WVO AND Bio causes a sort of green/blue chickin skin that breaks away and eventually finds its way into the injector pump where it blocks.
                      Removing and stripping down an injector pump is not a 5 min job even after you have done it about 6 times,,, believe me.
                      Try to use stainless or chrome plate the copper.

Comment

Great idea!! Thanks for sharing : )
                        Gonna find me an old scrap combi boiler : )
                        having just rebuilt the head i really cant be arsed with stripping an injector pump :/

Originally posted by johnsiddle View Post
                        The plate heat exchangers of the type used in combi boilers are brillient, high capacity, stainless and they really do heat the oil superbly.

john

PS
                        Copper with SVO AND WVO AND Bio causes a sort of green/blue chickin skin that breaks away and eventually finds its way into the injector pump where it blocks.
                        Removing and stripping down an injector pump is not a 5 min job even after you have done it about 6 times,,, believe me.

Comment

You need to find the type that you can screw pipes onto or solder brass fittings.

If you solder/screw brass fittings get some 10mm ally pipe from a car breakers it is usually used in aircon fittings or hydraulic fittings, you can then use 10mm compression olives.
                          Obviously the hot water bit doesn't matter.
                          john

Comment

Originally posted by johnsiddle View Post

john

PS
                            Have you a picture of the heat exchanger your talking about?

My next door neighbour is a heating engineer so can probably get one off him if i show him what i'm after.

Comment

I will take a picture of one I have on the bench tomorrow
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X