3.0TD Fuel Filter Replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0TD Fuel Filter Replacement.

Its MOT time and Ive had a few things to sort out. Headlamp replacement, CV gaters etc. Whilst I was doing things under the bonnet the fuel filter needed changing as well. Heres how it went in pics and hope it will be of help to those of us who are very limited in the mechanics of the Surf. Because this is a fuel related task its a good idea to disconnect the battery/batteries before work commences.

Location of filter.

Release the pinch clips on the flow and return fuel lines. Take note which one goes where. I expected fuel to go every where but very little was split.

Undo the two 10mm bolts holding the filter bracket to the housing.

Disconnect the electrical connector which is attached to the float assembly located at the bottom of the filter.

Once the filter assembly has been removed you can seperate the filter from the housing. Its only a twist fit against the "O" ring. Be aware the filter will be full of fuel so have a jam jar handy to empty it.

On the bottom of the filter is a float assembly which is also a twist fit with "O" ring. Just get the assembly in a dry rag, twist and unscrew.

Refit the new filter not forgetting to replace the bottom "O" ring. Refit the flow and return fuel pipes. Reconnect the electrical connector to the float assembly. Refit battery connections and turn on ingnition.......then.......pre ss the primer up and down on top of the filter housing about 10 times just to get some fuel in there. Fired up no probs. Check for leaks of course. Job done

The only annoying thing about this job is the fuel waste in the jar. You can put it back in the tank but I didn't bother.

Thanks for the DIY! Used it to change my 3rd gens filter today, a bit different but not enough to make a difference.
    '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

well done mate...hope it was near the mark for you

Comment

Alternatively,
        I just undid the bottom electrical connector, undid the filter, poured the fuel into jar, put the bottom bit on the new filter, put the fuel back in the new filter, screwed up the filter and reconnected the wire ( which didn't actually do anything as it had been forced on "sideways" previously!)
        lots of pumping till it went hard, then started it up. It ran, died, then took 20 secs of turning over for the air in the pipe to get out before more fuel hit the engine. job done.

Nice write up and pics though
        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
          Alternatively,
          I just undid the bottom electrical connector, undid the filter, poured the fuel into jar, put the bottom bit on the new filter, put the fuel back in the new filter, screwed up the filter and reconnected the wire ( which didn't actually do anything as it had been forced on "sideways" previously!)
          lots of pumping till it went hard, then started it up. It ran, died, then took 20 secs of turning over for the air in the pipe to get out before more fuel hit the engine. job done.

Nice write up and pics though
          Pretty much what he said. It's a great write up but you are making life a bit tricky for yourself. It's far less faff to do it in situ.

If you stick a plastic bag over the filter before removing you'll catch all the fuel. Fill it with redex or similar if you want to give your injectors a clean.

You also need to make sure that you you lubricate the o'ring with a bit of fuel before tightening to make it easier to unscrew next time. Don't do it up any more then hand tight or its a pain the next time.

Comment

Nice guide, but should brake fluid be black?

Comment

Thanks lads for the comments

Plodit....... What its a fuel filter change!
              Last edited by axelgs1; 20 March 2011, 14:37.

Comment

I think he means that, if you look in your first photo, your brake fluid looks pretty dark. However, it may just be a dark coloured brake fluid (mine is dark blue), or I reckon he is saying you might have to look at changing it....

Comment

Yes sorry Axel just being a ####.

Comment

not at all mate

Comment

Cheers!

Did this job on my 3rd Gen today following these instructions, thank you very much.

Comment

Is there any chance you could re-upload the photos to imgur or another photo sharing service? The original uploads are down.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X