Cooling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling problem

Hi guys, my KZN-185 has suddenly dropped all its water. I couldn't spot any leaks and didn't have any exhaust steam, so I topped it up and brought it up to temp. That was when I saw the plume of steam coming from under the chassis! After crawling under the car i've worked out the pipes that feed the rear heater matrix have corroded.
    I plan to, either,
    1. chop these off and replace with some rubber heater hose and jubilee clips
    2. chop them off and just bypass the rear heater completely.

Which of these would you lot recommend bearing in mind I have the V8 in the garage waiting to go in the surf this summer. I don't know if the extra heater matrix would assist with the cooling, or just complicate matters.
    Also does anyone know the outside diameter of the pipes in question so that I buy the correct sized rubber hose?
    Cheers,
    Sean

As a short term measure can you not detach both of the rubber feed hoses from the rear heater pipes, then take one off of the feed pipe and connect the other in its place, as a by-pass. That should stop any futher leaks.

It will depend if you want to keep the rear heater whether you look for a replacement matrix or make the repair permanent.

No idea on the diameter though.
    Mike G

Comment

The actual rupture is along the chassis rails directly behind the drivers side front wheel. The pipes are steel and totally rotten.
      I think I'm going to just bypass the whole rear heater before the pipes even leave the engine bay, less to go wrong.

Unless anyone thinks this is a bad move????
      Cheers,
      Sean

Comment

iv the exact same problem wit them two pipes on my 3rd gen they are rotten wit rust...they're still solid but im gona bypass them wen changin the coolant as the rear heater is never used in mine.

Comment

Job done!
          Those two pipes join up to the main heater matrix pipes at the very top of the firewall. I just cut the rubber pipes off leaving a couple of inches spare, then simply blocked them off with a couple of fat bolts threaded up the inside of the pipes.
          Cheers for the replies.
          Next job will be dropping in the V8 thats sat in the garage ...... definatly gonna need help with that one. Should be starting that job after our wedding in 6 weeks ish
          Cheers,
          Sean

Comment

Working...
          X