Any way to avoid a cracked head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to avoid a cracked head?

As per the title, I was just wondering what can be done to avoided the dreaded head problem?

My 3L V6 died last year and rather than fix it, I just sold it as a non runner. After nearly 12 months driving a horrible little Honda Civic, I'm in the market to buy another Surf. This time I want a 3L diesel, but I'm scared of the same thing happening.

Someone told me replacing the extractors(?) can help, as it takes the heat away from the head quicker... I'm guessing extractors is a fancy word for exhaust manifold, but I'm not sure :P

Just replace the head now and forget about it!

Seriously though, depending on mileage, the damage is probably already done. Think progressive not sudden.

Keep the fluids topped up, rad clear of mud, no spots, don't go above the speed limit for a motorway/clearway, don't pull caravans up big hills, turn your lights, a/c, stereo, and wipers off. in fact don't even start it and it'll last a lifetime.

I had a phrase for my last car, which seems appropriate for the surf.

"Use it, enjoy it, repair it..." ad infinitum.
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

The main thing is keeping your cooling system in tip top condition. change "ALL" fluids & use toyota coolant & change stat & rad cap as soon as you get the truck.

If you want to be a bit safer buy a new temp gauge because the standard one is pants.

Ive just ordered one of these, should be here tomorrow.
      http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?mai...roducts_id=476
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
        The main thing is keeping your cooling system in tip top condition. change "ALL" fluids & use toyota coolant & change stat & rad cap as soon as you get the truck.

If you want to be a bit safer buy a new temp gauge because the standard one is pants.

Ive just ordered one of these, should be here tomorrow.
        http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?mai...roducts_id=476

A bit late now Si, but they are very bright and they don't dim very much either when you switch your lights on. Where ever you mount it, make sure it can't reflect on the screen at night.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          A bit late now Si, but they are very bright and they don't dim very much either when you switch your lights on. Where ever you mount it, make sure it can't reflect on the screen at night.
          I was going to buy the one you got but for some reason i changed my mind at the last minute.
          If it comes tomorrow i'll fit it over the weekend & post some pics & let you know what its like.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
          X