yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent: Headgasket - what parts do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent: Headgasket - what parts do I need?

Hi all,

sorry for this one but I need to order the parts urgent and unfortunately Rough Trax are no mechs and I myself have no experience with a turbo diesel.

Main sorrow is which gasket do I need on the exhaust manifold side, I doubt that the manifold itself is taken off in order to replace the headgasket.

Parts on the list so far:
    - rocker cover gasket
    - headgasket
    - headbolts
    - thermostat
    - oilfilter
    - cambelt set

Can somebody please tell me which gasket I need on the side of the exhaust? I assume that the inlet manifold just need the flexible pipe to the airfilter taken off, correct?

Thanks again for your help!

The Hoffi

Head Gasket

Go on to Roughtrax website, identify your model of surf, buy the complete head gasket set and new head bolts.

Comment

Not much point in doing this as I will bin more than half of the gaskets! The set is necessary for a head replacement only.

I just need to know where the exhaust manifold is going to be dismantled, that will give me the necessary gasket, thanks!

Comment

Reuse the original ones, none of the aftermarket ones are as good. The main gasket. the turbo flange and the EGR one.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I think you will find that you will need more than you think, once you start taking it apart, so a kit might be a better option.

If you don't think so then have a look at this -

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...KMQT_1701.html

Nev

Comment

Alright, if there is a fair change that I can re use the old ones I order what I have listed.

@Nifty: The engine is bone dry from the outside and running like a nut since I have bought the car 1/2a ago! Apart from using water and having a good smoke at the start nothing wrong at all.
            I might proof myself wrong when work has commenced as you suggest but I am coughing up quite some money already therefore trying to save at least a bit on the expenses. If more needs to be done then I will order what is needed of course.

@all: Thanks for your replies, much appreciated as usual!

Comment

If you aren't changing the oil you won't need an oil filter and if you changed the stat when you bought it give that a miss too, but in reality you'll possibly need the full kit and a new head to go with it, plus extras. I too was an unbeliever till I had to strip it down after looking for leaks, no smoke, no contamination, no overheating on the guage, new coolant, new stat and loads of pointers from here, but these trucks tend to need more than simple maintaining and a lot of factors come into play which result in blown heads so don't be too surprised if this is your real problem. When and if you decide to fix it make sure you service the viscous fan too and fit an aftermarket temp guage then drive by it and not the onboard guage, its $hit. H

Comment

Head gaskets are rarely the problem. Once you remove the head you may as well have it checked for cracks etc and then, even though all looks ok, strip it down and check valves, replace valve stem seals etc. Your oil burning problem discussed before, sounds like valve stem seals to me. There's aleays more to do than expected. Just did the timing belt on mine and although I thought most things would be ok I found play in the water pump bearings and the harmonic balancer about to expire. I was prepared for this with spares ready.

Nev

Comment

That does not really give me hope!

Damn, forgot the water pump! **it

Thinking positive, will report on the findings!

Comment

Originally posted by The Hoffi View Post
                    Apart from using water and having a good smoke at the start nothing wrong at all
                    I think its safe to say that there's about a 90% chance that your cylinder head is cracked between the intake and exhaust valves on each cylinder. The head gaskets don't pop on the 1KZ-TE engine. If you do it right it'll cost about £900+ labour or DIY. If you do it wrong, you'll do it twice.
                    En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
                      The head gaskets don't pop on the 1KZ-TE engine..

To be fair they do, I've done 3 or 4 that have only been the H/G, one was mine, 4 or 5 yeras ago.

Its not a 2L/TE, every single one i've ever done was a cracked head.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

You'll know much better than me Tony, I bow to your greater experience.
                        En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

I have just ordered a new head for the tank!

Good part of it is that Rough Trax is supplying a tougher head so with this investment the joy should last A LOT longer!

Comment

Yepp!

Got the tank back on Friday, done some rounds already, all perfect now!

Mechanic was impressed by the parts, the head and the service delivered!

Rough Trax: Thumbs up!

With all the stuff done it should be only oil and filter in 6000miles time!

Uh and one missing answer to my questions: The water pump is NOT run by the timing belt therefore can be renewed whenever required!

Comment

Working...
                            X