Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft Dowels? (3.0L diesel)

Hi

i'm most of the way through fitting a manual gearbox into my 2nd gen 3.0L diesel surf.
    (at least, i'm telling myself i am, changed pedal cluster, adapted tunnel opening for gear levers on the shorter manual box, clutch pipe etc).

i have the manual propshafts.

i've ordered a solid flywheel and clutch from roughtrax.

looking at the two piece toyota flywheel i got with the manual box i see its drilled for two dowels.
    my auto flywheel had no dowels and there are no holes in the crankshaft to take any.

so my question is - will the manual flywheel be happy just torqued and threadlocked in place or do i need to set about drilling the holes for the dowels?
    thinking the two piece flywheel could possibly be used as a drilling guide?

if anyone has any experience of this or can advise me either way i would be very grateful.
    i really wouldn't want to do all this and have it work loose.

many thanks

Sim

Dowel holes are machined. My thoughts are that you'd do more harm than good trying to drill a hole in a crankshaft. A grown up will be along soon to advise further.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

the dowels dont stop it from moving they just locate it , just bolt it up nice and tight with loctite
      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

I don't remember seeing dowels on manual Surf cranks, the bolt holes arn't symetrical, so I've had to spin the flywheel on the shaft till the holes line up, so dosn't ring a bell.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the info/advice.

all the engines i've worked on before had dowels so it just didn't look right.
          (had a lovely hi-lux mk3 which i re-built from the chassis up. put a 3.5 into it using a milner adaptor kit. built the engine, fitted a gpl kit etc, worked a treat, went skiing in the alps and pyrenees in it .
          i think i asked a lot of questions whilst i was doing it tho...

Thanks again

Sim

Comment

Working...
          X