My brakes disappeared?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brakes disappeared?

Weird thing happened this morning. went out on a trip about 18 miles away and just as I got there my brakes went

They didn't go entirely as I was left with a tiny bit right at the bottom of the pedal, I crept along to my destination went to put the handbrake on and that had gone as well

I finished doing what I had to and was deciding whether I should call the AA out, I had a quick look round the motor to see if I was leaking any fluid, I checked the reservoir and that was still on the mark so I braved the trip home.

I get home return journey taking twice the time pulled into my drive and my brakes came back

How can that be, even my handbrakes working again.

Any help/advice appreciated on this one coz I ain't got a clue.

Cheers guys

Brian

what truck you got mate? have you driven through any big puddles. Might be worth taking the wheels off and having a good look around. sounds a bit master cylinder though
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
      what truck you got mate? have you driven through any big puddles. Might be worth taking the wheels off and having a good look around. sounds a bit master cylinder though

Hi ya

No it wasn't like driving through a puddle, the foot pedal went almost to the floor and the weird bit was the handbrake pulled out twice the normal as well? like it had become disconnected.
      I thought the handbrake was mechanical and the foot brake hydraulic, completely different systems.
      I will be going over bits tomorrow but as it's suddenly working again not sure if I'm going to find the fault.
      Will post up here if I find anything and cheers
      Brian.
      P.S. it's a 94 2nd gen 3.0l

Comment

Forgot to add that while sitting at lights with my foot almost to the floor I discovered you could bring the pedal pressure back up by gently pumping but by the time you hit the next lights pedal was on floor again?

Comment

When was the last time you had the brake fluid changed? Sounds like either air or water has got into the fluid, allowing it to compress, which good brake fluid wont.

As a start I'd bleed each wheel (starting at the back n/s), including the LSPV on the back axle, until you have clean, new fluid (and no air) flowing from each one. If you're not happy doing this, get a garage to do it for you. Should not be too expensive. That should solve your problem.
          Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
            When was the last time you had the brake fluid changed? Sounds like either air or water has got into the fluid, allowing it to compress, which good brake fluid wont.

As a start I'd bleed each wheel (starting at the back n/s), including the LSPV on the back axle, until you have clean, new fluid (and no air) flowing from each one. If you're not happy doing this, get a garage to do it for you. Should not be too expensive. That should solve your problem.

Hi Mike
            Just been round the block in it and the brakes are fine today??? I will change the brake fluid though as I just read in the Max Ellery manual about vapour locks, this motor's never leaked any fluid so it's the same stuff in there since when I bought it 3 1/2 years ago.

Cheers for the reply
            Brian

Been restoring VW splitscreens for 20 years and working on my own motors for 35+ years, the Surfs been that reliable that other than basic servicing I've never had to touch it.
            Not heard of a LSPV before though, what's that?

Comment

Load Sensing Proportioning Valve. Above the rear diff. Automatically adjusts brakes depending on load. More weight in back more braking to back.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                Load Sensing Proportioning Valve. Above the rear diff. Automatically adjusts brakes depending on load. More weight in back more braking to back.

Nev

Cheers Nev

Comment

Working...
                X