3rd gen 4x4 selector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen 4x4 selector

as per title im thinking of goin to look at a 3rd gen an the owner says it wont engage 4x4 drive an thats its never been off road so had no need too...wat i want to know wats the likely cause an can it easily be fixed?stiff selector lever from lack of use possibly??

thanks
    dara

If it hasn't been used for a long time, the electric actuator on the transfercase can stick. It's basically a motor that engages the gears to connect the front propshaft.

Comment

ah cool cheers for the quick reply...hard unstick it if thats the problem??

Comment

Usually just press the button on the transfer lever and drive around until the green 4WD icon on the dash stops flashing.
        There's four green lights with a centre orange light, between the speedo and tacho. When all four lights are on, 4wd (4H) is engaged. The centre orange light only comes on when the centre diff is lock. (4L)
        Mine sometimes sticks and needs about two or three hundred yards before it works if not been used for a while. Once it is working, it's pretty instant after that.

If it still refuses to work, and the vacumm side of the system is working OK, then it's either a fuse/relay thats blown or a replacement actuator is needed.

Comment

naaah just heat it with the hairdryer
          15 years in shiny club, lovely

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Usually just press the button on the transfer lever and drive around until the green 4WD icon on the dash stops flashing.
            There's four green lights with a centre orange light, between the speedo and tacho. When all four lights are on, 4wd (4H) is engaged. The centre orange light only comes on when the centre diff is lock. (4L)
            Mine sometimes sticks and needs about two or three hundred yards before it works if not been used for a while. Once it is working, it's pretty instant after that.

If it still refuses to work, and the vacumm side of the system is working OK, then it's either a fuse/relay thats blown or a replacement actuator is needed.
            cool so its not hard to sort it so....the 3rd gens can be drivin on tarmac in 4H under 40mph as well cant they??

Comment

Originally posted by Dara View Post
              cool so its not hard to sort it so....the 3rd gens can be drivin on tarmac in 4H under 40mph as well cant they??

At any speed, it's the same as AWD. (Providing the transfer lever has the multi-mode markings on it)
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....54&postcount=4

Comment

At any speed, it's the same as AWD. (Providing the transfer lever has the multi-mode markings on it)
                http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....54&postcount=4
                wats the H4L for tarmac??or jus normal H4 for tarmac??

Comment

wats the H4L for tarmac??or jus normal H4 for tarmac??
                  H4L is 4WD with the centre diff locked, so it's the same as when the transfer button is pressed in on the 2nd gen.
                  H4 is AWD
                  H2 is 2WD (Both OK on dry roads as the centre diff will be open)

L4L is Low range 4WD, centre diff locked.

Comment

H4L is 4WD with the centre diff locked, so it's the same as when the transfer button is pressed in on the 2nd gen.
                    H4 is AWD
                    H2 is 2WD (Both OK on dry roads as the centre diff will be open)

L4L is Low range 4WD, centre diff locked.
                    ah i get you now...so if i was to put it into H4 from H2 id jus pull the lever all the way to the right??sorry for all the Q's it'd be me first 4wd

Comment

ah i get you now...so if i was to put it into H4 from H2 id jus pull the lever all the way to the right??sorry for all the Q's it'd be me first 4wd

No.
                      To go from H2 to H4 and vice-versa, just press the button on the side of the transfer lever.
                      The position of the lever in the photo is the everyday normal position.
                      You only need to move the lever when doing some serious off-road or you want the centre diff locked.

Comment

No.
                        To go from H2 to H4 and vice-versa, just press the button on the side of the transfer lever.
                        The position of the lever in the photo is the everyday normal position.
                        You only need to move the lever when doing some serious off-road or you want the centre diff locked.
                        ah i see i thought that awd button on the side was jus a badge from the pic
                        thanks very much for all the help mate
                        im definitly goin to have a look at that surf so!

Comment

That the one in donedeal?
                          if so it does look clean for the money if the 4x4 fix turns out to be simple,
                          But it should engage 4x4 without using the button and just shifting the small lever,the road conditions are perfect foe testing it at the moment
                          g1xer

Comment

Originally posted by G1xer View Post
                            That the one in donedeal?
                            if so it does look clean for the money if the 4x4 fix turns out to be simple,
                            But it should engage 4x4 without using the button and just shifting the small lever,the road conditions are perfect foe testing it at the moment
                            g1xer
                            yup thats the one...goin to view it today hopefully

Comment

Working...
                            X