Head problem? (moved post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aye Kerr

I couldn't even see the drip but feeling around my fingers were wet, I was having a ###### heart attack thinking it was the head again. H

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. I've booked a "proper inspection" for tuesday. Meanwhile the car is sitting outside ticking over on my white paper clarted drive! Although if it drips on to something hot i might never find it!
      I guy at my work said he's willing to bet that if i replace all coolant tubing my problem would be solved.

Rear heaters have already been bypassed.

White smoke has vanished! bad diesel?

Comment

You'll really only see the smoke on startup or on the colder days, then again its a wonder it isn't snowing by now up there, mine blew the head on the run to my FIL's funeral last january, in Aberdeen, it had been doing exactly what you describe then on the run the thermostat failed, closed, It was like a steam train coming back here, which obviously impacted on the head, get a new stat in first just in case this is whats happening to your truck, 20 quid from toyota dealership might just save the same happening to yours. H

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
          You'll really only see the smoke on startup or on the colder days
          Hmmm, this does not sound fill me with confidence. . . I've already replaced the thermostat, genuine toyota.

Comment

If its a recent change I'd forget about that then, the one I changed out was probably the original and really should have been done long before I did it but as I've never had one fail I disregarded the info here at my peril. I'd get it sniff tested if I were you, it could be just surf paranoia but its highly likely the head is on its way or gone already. H

Comment

oh dear, is there any knowing when it will properly "go"? I'm planning to order a new head in december if it turns out to be the worst case scenario. Its currently my daily driver. Would running it cause any further damage? I.e. block corrosion?

Comment

Mine was busted in the january and I just kept topping up the coolant daily, there was no lack of power for normal operations, towing my 23ft caravan with both surf and van fully laden was a struggle on hills during the summer, it eventually hydrolocked at the end of july after hitting 90 the previous day after doing the fuel filter as it had started to run really lumpy. After removing the head and finding cracks between the valves on cylinders 4-3-2 I was very surprised to see no internal damage whatsoever, everything looked great bar the cracks. The pics are on here in my busted head threads, it ran fine for six months. H

Comment

Yup, my truck seemed to run fine and had 6 cracks in the head when it was taken off.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Huh! at least il have time to get the parts/money/time to do the head, could i call that a silver lining?! ha ha
                    I don't know why people cant just sell an honest car. I paid 1500. it hurts.

Comment

Ok, a little update! The surf was in the garage today, the mechanic has told me coolant is leaking from the engine oil cooler . . as is oil. So the coolant has been evaporating as soon as it leaks. I'll get the truck back tomorrow, so here's hoping the coolant stops droping. I'm holding my breath for now!

Comment

cylinder head crack confirmed today. At least its not the piston rings like one lousy mechanic informed me.

Comment

rising oil level

Sigh, this just gets better, now i've noticed that my oil level is rising fast enough to sell by the barrel (about 2cms up the dipstick in the space of a month.) No mayonnaise or sighns of coolant.

please refrain from suggesting my oil checking/filling method is flawed . . i wish it was!

Is it time to sell?

Comment

ok reading this thread has got me worried now.

Bought a 4runner yesterday, N reg. Got it home and noticed its fairly smoky on startup and that there are some small bubbles coming from the top of the rad.
                            Oh dear

Comment

Had to sell the beast back in november. Was burning shed loads of oil, yet the oil was filling up with diesel whilst either the block or the head was cracked and consuming the coolant. Sold £740, honda civic bought for £700
                              I'll be buying an 80 next although nothing compares to the surf imo.
                              Surf was the biggest let down ever. Loved it but couldn't afford the repairs.

Anybody got a lexurf i could buy?!

Comment

Working...
                              X