Takes a while to start engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takes a while to start engine?

Hi, recently I've been sat in my car trying to start the engine which for some reason is taking a lot of turning over before it finally coughs into action, and I'm always just making it before my batteries konk out. I can't continue like this. Does anyone have any thoughts of what it might be?

hi and welcome to the forum.
    I would say that your glowplugs may need changing.This sounds like the same symptoms a few of us had this time last year and the new glowplugs solved the problem.It will be due to the colder weather now coming in and the plugs not heating proper.
    Also check the 80a fuse in the box under the bonnet and the glowplug relay aswell
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Is your digital clock working, silly question but it seems to be tied into the same circuit that drives the glowplugs driver...
      I blew the fuse whilst overloading the cig lighter, (same fuse) no glow plug light. hard to start...lots of cranking

replaced fuse all back to normal

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by 24840399 View Post
        I'm always just making it before my batteries konk out. I can't continue like this. Does anyone have any thoughts of what it might be?
        That's a lot of cranking! You have been given a couple of things to try, but are your batteries in good nick? They should be able to turn the engine over quickly for a decent period of time. Another silly question, are you allowing time for the glow plugs to heat? All food for thought.

Cheers, Nick
        "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Try giving the fuel primer a few pumps before cranking over after following the advice already given.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
          X