yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy Head pressure test (Whilst still on car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Head pressure test (Whilst still on car)

My 3rd gen showed all the signs of a cracked head but just to make sure I was going down the right road I did the following :
    I removed the inlet and exhust manifolds, I then made sure that there was water in the rad then got my electric tyre inflator and pushed the attachment that you use to inflate airbeds up the tube that goes to the expansion tank, I then turned on the inflator and pressurised the system and abracadabra water stared to come from the exhaust port, not only had I confirmed that it was cracked but also where.

LOL, inventive, but I can probably get a head off a 3.0 quicker than getting the exhaust and inlet off in the car...

(if you'd just pressure tested the cooling system it would have shown you same thing.)
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Pressure testing only tells you if the Head gasket had blown or the head was cracked but not identify which one, the way I did it with the air pump showed if it is the head itself, and saving the cost of having the head pressure tested once off the car. Cracks in the head are not always visable to the eye as was the case with mine.

Comment

Ingenious...

My method is to watch my Surf convert itself into a cappuccino machine billowing clouds of white steam out of the exhaust as i drive and then the when i stop the expansion bottle vomits coolant all over the road... usually catches my attention..

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Yipsnacle View Post
          Pressure testing only tells you if the Head gasket had blown or the head was cracked but not identify which one, the way I did it with the air pump showed if it is the head itself, and saving the cost of having the head pressure tested once off the car. Cracks in the head are not always visable to the eye as was the case with mine.
          Not trying to get in an argument, but you have to take the head off anyway? A split gasket will still leak water. Getting the manifolds off is such a faff with the motor in the car.

Lots of surf head cracks don't leak that much and it often passes a pressure test, especially if its cold, but fails a sniffer test.

I've never seen a cracked head you couldn't see the crack in, and I've seen lots! Most are between the valves, the odd one across the face of the head, and once behind the valve seat.

You can tell which bore is suspect if its that bad, its normally full of water, if its not there there is often pitting around the top of the bore or the piston top is really clean compared to the others!

Not having a go, just pointing out issues, for when others finding it in a search.

Comment

But Tony the reason it is easy for you to see where the problem is because you have such considerate customers. By making a proper job of really frying the engine, I made sure that the cracks in the head were bigger than Jordan's. You couldn't miss them...!

Comment

LOL, true.

Comment

I apoligise to anyone that has read my misleading post, I think that I should have ran it past our Super Moderator for clearance on the content first, its quiet obvious that I am not experienced enough to be wearing my blue cape and red underpants on the outside of my tights yet

Comment

Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Peace, its a discussion, we owe it to future users searching info that all points of view are shown, and people can make up their own minds then how they want to procced, was only saying it seemed a lot of hassle for limited gain but was an interesting idea.

I apoligse for denting your ego, but you don't need one here so relax and enjoy yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X