X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

between the grille and the rad
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Well there's definately not one there...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        Not quiet, the electric fan will come on as a back up if things get over 105-110 degs ish, the viscous fan will adjust how much air it pulls through the rad by a bimetallic spring facing the rad which adjusts how slip the hub allows. It never actually locks up.

If you hear the front elec fan running and the A/C isn't on it means your motor is running very warm and worth investigating, but you can get it to run if you park up a hot motor, then start it again within 5 mins as the motor temp will rise for 10mins after switching off an engine as the coolant stops circulating but the engine is still hot, if it comes on in these circumstances don't worry about it to much.
        That'll be why mine only seems to run when the AC is switched on then as it hasn't gone past 90 since I did the head, prior to that I've no idea. Now I've fixed the head and done my temp guage mod, cooler, stat and all the other crap the coolant has started leaking at the rear heater pipe junction, disconnected that lot, new straight-through pipes in place then noticed after a run another leak from the front at the bulkhead junction of the pipes/heater so its fkin tools out again tomorrow. The missus is sick as a parrot with the truck now with these niggles and I'm beginning to agree, I'm getting too old for all this crawling about looking for pinholes and worrying whether it'll blow another head so its getting sorted and probably be for sale soon, unless it snows shortly, anyway, rant over, sorry for stealing the thread Leigh. H

Comment

Hmm... well I'm beginning to suspect you may have been right Hazzo... the clear absence of the electric fan is leading me to believe that I'm unlikely to find a thermostat. I bought it with a slightly wonky bumper, so I reckon whatever caused that probably also damaged said fan.

Rather than replace the fan, the garage that I bought it from may have just removed the fan along with the thermostat to stop it overheating. Does that sound likely? Arggh. A certain garage may be getting an angry phone call!

So... any one got an electric fan?

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
            That'll be why mine only seems to run when the AC is switched on then as it hasn't gone past 90 since I did the head, prior to that I've no idea. Now I've fixed the head and done my temp guage mod, cooler, stat and all the other crap the coolant has started leaking at the rear heater pipe junction, disconnected that lot, new straight-through pipes in place then noticed after a run another leak from the front at the bulkhead junction of the pipes/heater so its fkin tools out again tomorrow. The missus is sick as a parrot with the truck now with these niggles and I'm beginning to agree, I'm getting too old for all this crawling about looking for pinholes and worrying whether it'll blow another head so its getting sorted and probably be for sale soon, unless it snows shortly, anyway, rant over, sorry for stealing the thread Leigh. H
            My 2.4 did the same after I replaced the head - ended up replacing all the hoses and hose clips and it was all good after. I bought genuine jubilee brand hoseclips as they are so much better than the stuff the local factors sell.

Rob.

Comment

Stormforce is breaking trucks all the time he'll probably have a fan if one is needed on your truck, I'd ask the other gen 3 owners first as it could have been discarded on that model for some reason or possibly if the AC has been removed for some reason whoever took it off may have removed the AC rad and fan at the same time. Post another question regarding this but I'd check where/how/if your stat has been taken out and if so replace it, or it will affect your fuel consumption and overheating can still occur even with it out, so apart from having #### poor heating for the coming freeze there's still worries. I think your garage may be ignorant regarding the fan removal too, they just want to buy/sell they're not interested in removing stats or fans etc to sell a duffer you'd obviously return if a problem came up. H

Comment

Replaced the thermostat and all is now gravy. Panic over - I guess that's a lesson in 'not getting ahead of yourself!'.

Comment

Working...
                X