head or turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head or turbo?

Hi guys, I know this looks like a repeat of the previous threads but surf was overheating and losing loads of coolant. Got the head off and no sign of damage to gasket etc. Could it be losing water thru the turbo (intercooler) or will it be a cracked head? Help, advice please, cheers.
    PUBLIC ENEMY NO.1

Crack will be above the precoms. I have replaced a total of 4 cyl heads on a 1KZ over the last 10 years and 3 were as a result of catastrophic cooling system failures. This said 2 have failed this week and each are early production and have covered 225km

Comment

there is no water that goes throgh the intercooler, if there is no visible cracks [normally across the valves] get it pressure tested at a machine shop, might only need a skim
      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Failed pressure testing 3 times, had to get a new head from roughtrax. Ouch, 866 quid later hopefully this saga is put to bed. Cheers... till the next time.
        PUBLIC ENEMY NO.1

Comment

Originally posted by 4thsurf View Post
          Crack will be above the precoms. I have replaced a total of 4 cyl heads on a 1KZ over the last 10 years and 3 were as a result of catastrophic cooling system failures. This said 2 have failed this week and each are early production and have covered 225km
          lol, is that all? I've done :goes to check invoices: 3 3.0's (2 KZN185, one ZN130) and 3 2.4's this year, and and about 10 3.0 and 25 2.4's in 4 years. All but one 3.0 head cracked in the same place as the 2.4's between the valves, and one was cracked by the valve guides.

(oh, and for those keeping count, also 3 3.0's have been headgaskets, 0 2.4's were..)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X