Power steering pump oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering pump oil change

Having just spent about a grand on my old truck changing the head and radiator along with new exhaust, new back window motor and regulator, I thought I might as well go through the whole thing and get it all up to scratch. I was going to get rid earlier this year, but now I've done the main things that need doing I might as well keep the old girl. I was also reminded by my wife how well the truck dealt with the floods that we had here and also the snow. I followed a new Disco into a highly flooded area and on reaching the edge of the water, the Disco started lifting to a higher level on its suspension. Pretty neat trick I thought. But then I realised that when it got to its highest setting it was still no higher than my Surf.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings....

I notice the power steering fluid is looking pretty black and I would like to change it. Is there a drain plug for that? Whats the best way to carry out the change?

power streering

no drain plug that i know of you will have to remove a pipe let it drain
    then refill with pipe loose till you get fresh fluid through you might have to do this a couple of time to get all the old fluid out after refill you will need to turn streering lock to lock to get the air locks out
    Slowly Slowly Catchee Monkey

Comment

OK, thanks. I'll have a go. Is there any particular pipe to loosen?

Comment

whatever is easy to get at steering box end would be best

Comment

update

on mine 3.0 it has a rubber hose at the steeering box end on the return pipe side i would undo this put the pipe into a 2 litre milk bottle then start her up get some one to move the steering while you keep it topped up with new fluid when you get nice clean new fluid coming through stop motor replace pipes top up restart then keep turning lock to lock a few times top up again and your done

Comment

Working...
          X