speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo

I have been experiencing a new problem with my 3.0 ssrx first thing in the morning the speedo takes about hal;f amile before it works but the odo and trip work fine once it starts working its ok for the rest of the day i'm 99% sure its the speedo head and not the electronic sender in the box has anybody else come across this.

Mine is doing something similar. Sounds like it is a common issue with these. Mine randomly jumps up from actual speed for a while after start up. But when it gets hot it is dying a for a few seconds at a time then coming back. I think it is only a matter of time before it dies completely.

From what I've read our problems do sound more like the circuitry in the speedo rather than the sensor so usually a new set of dials sorts it out.

Comment

Mine has started this too, I think I may have knocked something when doing work on the truck though, I keep jiggling plugs n stuff to make sure they are seated properly but nothing changes, I can live with it, comes on after 1/2 mile or so. H

Comment

Speedo

Glad its not just mine then i will have to sort out another speedo head.

Comment

Had a similar prolem with me own one. Changed the sensor, that didn't worked. Went for the converter behind the speedo clocks next, since I changed that everythings been ok.
          www.grovegarage.co.uk

Comment

Mine jumped about for a few weeks then died...been using a Speed detector for a speedo since ( very acurate) what do I look for behind the dash? Everything else is working ok.
            Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Bracpan View Post
              Mine jumped about for a few weeks then died...been using a Speed detector for a speedo since ( very acurate) what do I look for behind the dash? Everything else is working ok.
              Phil
              Put kph-mph converter into EBay, that will show you what to look for. Small block with (usually) 4 wires coming from it. Also usually very badly spliced into your speedo head with a combination of scotchlocks/chocolate block/sellotape!!

If making good the connections gives you no joy, buy a new one.

Comment

Cheers Dave much appreciated
                Phil

Comment

speedo

mine didnt have a converter on it but changed the speedo head and calibrated it with a sat nav by moving the needle on its spindle with the dash loosly fitted it now reads 2 mph faster than actual speed according to sat nav.

Comment

The odometer and the speedo both use the same input if one is working correctly and the other is not it is very unlikely to be anything other then a faulty speedo head.
                    ionic SURFactant

Comment

speedo

Originally posted by steved View Post
                      The odometer and the speedo both use the same input if one is working correctly and the other is not it is very unlikely to be anything other then a faulty speedo head.
                      hi I see you have a 99 silver surf I think mine is the same ? my speedo will jump from 30 to 50 and then back and even changes gear some times there is no speed out put from the gear box but there is a gear box speed sensor and abs sensor. My surf the other day was on the drive engine not running but turned on .I turned the wipers on and the speedo was showing 120mph and the odometer was also wizin round. some times you can indicate left and the needle will jump. all a bit spooky I have noticed its more so in damp weather or very cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Xray View Post
                        hi I see you have a 99 silver surf I think mine is the same ? my speedo will jump from 30 to 50 and then back and even changes gear some times there is no speed out put from the gear box but there is a gear box speed sensor and abs sensor. My surf the other day was on the drive engine not running but turned on .I turned the wipers on and the speedo was showing 120mph and the odometer was also wizin round. some times you can indicate left and the needle will jump. all a bit spooky I have noticed its more so in damp weather or very cold.
                        Looks like you may have a bad connection on the speedo head more the likely a earth lead on the head try checking them first.
                        ionic SURFactant

Comment

Working...
                        X