down on power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timholmes61 View Post
    wiggy, I don't know if the ecu was reset but I don't think anything was done that would require that. It was all mechanical stuff. I guess they could have knocked off a pipe of sensor. I'm sure I heard the turbo spinning up last week so would have had to happed when changing the rad and visco fan.

I haven't been getting any fault codes so does that mean it is not in limp home mode?
    i used to have a 2.4 that was slower than a slow thing and the check light never came on (it worked tho), eventually found out it didnt have a crank sensor lol (only found out when i tried the diagnostic as all the timing was out). I think Apache is right enough tho about the vac hoses / boost....easiest things to check first :smile:
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

So I had another look around last night and as far as I can tell everything is in the place it should be. Thanks for the photo as it made my job of identifying the sensor much easier. The hose is fully connected as is the sensor.

I checked all the hoses and connections I could but nothing seemed to be split or loose. Didn't get a chance to take it out for another test to see if anything has changed but will do at weekend.

Any other ideas what it could be?

Comment

Airflow sensor in ok?

Comment

you'd have to help me on which one that would be. I checked all the plugs and there didn't seem to be anything loose.

Would sensors not working properly not throw a fault code?

Comment

Its the one just behind the air filter box and just plugs into the ducting...Aye if there is a knacked it should do but i should also be doing work Haha Just going through the simple things first

Comment

Ok, I'll check later. Thanks for your help.

Maybe I'll also consider doing some work now...maybe...once my surf is sorted...and I've had a rest...

Comment

So I've rechecked everything and I can't find a fualt in the any of the sensor connectors or the turbo vacuum pipes. Also I can hear the turbo spooling up so it sounds like it might not be that.

The power loss is not as obvious as some others have described so I'm now thinking it is not something major like the turbo. Could it be that it is running a bit lean? The last tank I got 275 miles out of a tank (mixed driving) which is more than I used to get in my last surf.

Is it possible that there's a slight shortage of fuel being used causing lower fuel consumption and a little less power? Also there is never any smoke out of the back which I would think is unusual for a big diesel with 120,000 miles! If so, what could be causing that? I can think of the obvious like fuel filter and injectors but is there anything else?

Comment

No smoke from mine either, only smoked white on startup when the stat stuck n the head bust, so apart from your problem I'd rule out overfuelling/glows/injectors and be looking for something else. H

Comment

Air temp sensor

I took the surf over to the south of France last week and it did the job OK despite the lack of power on motorways (quite embarrasing getting overtaken by caravans up hills!)

But I checked the diagnostics and it is coming up with a fault with the Air temperature sensor on the intake. I've took the sensor out and no obvious problems. Could this be causing my problems by itself?

If so, where can I get hold of a new one? as roughtrax don't seem to stock them.

Comment

If you can't find one in a scrappy, try online spares, 24/7 spares or phone your local Toyota dealer, but get a price first. Don't take no $hit about it being an import landcruiser colorado same year same engine, regardless of that when I give them my reg no. the model is on screen and all parts available, at a price though. H

Comment

I took the surf over to the south of France last week and it did the job OK despite the lack of power on motorways (quite embarrasing getting overtaken by caravans up hills!)

But I checked the diagnostics and it is coming up with a fault with the Air temperature sensor on the intake. I've took the sensor out and no obvious problems. Could this be causing my problems by itself?

If so, where can I get hold of a new one? as roughtrax don't seem to stock them.
                        You could see if Stormforce may have one from his scappers.
                        Mike G

Comment

Hello,

could you add a new photo of the where the boost sensor is on the 3.0 TD Surf as this one on this thread doesnt exist anymore..
                          I cant seem to find it!!

Kind regards,

Vasilios

Comment

I don't think I saved it anywhere so wiggy might have to add it again. but it is on the right hand side of the engine near the top. There are some short vacuum pipes going to and from it.

Comment

I don't think I saved it anywhere so wiggy might have to add it again. but it is on the right hand side of the engine near the top. There are some short vacuum pipes going to and from it.
                              Hello All,/Tim,

I have found the sensor...daah, it sais sensor on a yellow sticker on it, it is indeed fairly high up...
                              ###### mechanic hadnt a tight fit to it!! Put it in, worked fine!!
                              But two days later, loss of power..now I see a tube , oily at the end, very small in length... where does it connect?? Cannot find an available hole!!

Also... thenthe car developed a squeaky noise eon acceleration....is it the turbo bearing?? Just replaced the whole turbo for the same reason.....

Advise apreciated

Comment

There should be a small cylindrical filter mounted on a bracket near there. There will be a pipe coming out at 90 degrees from the top and another coming out the bottom. The bottom pipe should curl round and connect to the enginejust underneath it. The top pipe, i think, is the one that should join with the turbo boost sensor. Apparently that pipe can come off quite easily and you would lose turbo function.

As for your noise I'm not sure but get the pipe work sorted first as it may be fixed when all is well there.

If you take a photo I may be able to better describe what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                                X