Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Cracked,Blown Gasket

Hi Guys,
    well I thought these 3.0ltr surfs were indestructible, but they aint, top gear lied
    anyway from a cold start the motor cranks over and over for about 5-10 seconds max whilst puffing out greyish smoke, and once it's started it's blowing white smoke out the exhaust until the engine is hot,then I cant see it from the mirror anymore so I know it clears up a good bit,

I know its losing coolant as the Mrs used it for a week and I drove it to find the temp shooting up to 3/4's
    I left it over night when I got home and found the rad was low on water and now I am topping it up every day before I drive it, also when I switch the motor off I hear A LOT of gurgling! I give it a few seconds and start walking away but I can still hear it Gurgling?

So is this likley to be a new Head gasket set only?
    or a new head set?

Cheers.

It's rarely just the gasket, so be prepared to fork out for a complete head change.

Comment

Get the head off and pressure tested by a reputable engine shop.
      If it's hard to start, and using water that badly, best get it sorted ASAP. Starting/running whilst inducting water into the cylinders can result in slightly bent conrods. When the head's off, get the mechanic to check all piston protrusions are equal (this is the distance between the top of the piston and the block face when engine is at TDC on each piston) There shouldn't be any more than 3 or 4 thousandths of an inch difference across the 4 pistons.
      This is general info, not specific to these engines, which are hardy buggers, but is often overlooked.
      Last edited by malxwal; 27 July 2010, 13:59. Reason: More info
      3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        It's rarely just the gasket, so be prepared to fork out for a complete head change.
        yeh I figured it would be the full whack

Originally posted by malxwal@yahoo.co.uk View Post
        Get the head off and pressure tested by a reputable engine shop.
        If it's hard to start, and using water that badly, best get it sorted ASAP. Starting/running whilst inducting water into the cylinders can result in slightly bent conrods. When the head's off, get the mechanic to check all piston protrusions are equal (this is the distance between the top of the piston and the block face when engine is at TDC on each piston) There shouldn't be any more than 3 or 4 thousandths of an inch difference across the 4 pistons.
        This is general info, not specific to these engines, which are hardy buggers, but is often overlooked.
        I will look for a competant mechanic, I have yet to find someone who knows their stuff on these motors!
        thanks for the info though.

Comment

Whereabouts in Scotland? Anywhere near Aberdeenshire?
          3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Originally posted by malxwal@yahoo.co.uk View Post
            Whereabouts in Scotland? Anywhere near Aberdeenshire?
            I am in Helensburgh so a few hours anyway from aberdeenshire

Comment

Working...
            X