Oil Pressure light at start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure light at start up

i just noticed that my oil pressure light stays on for about 3 or 4 seconds after i start it.

is this normal?

thanks,

CURLY

Didn't know we had one, I'd check my dipstick if I were you, you have a pressure guage but all idiot lights should extinguish as you turn the key, if this ones staying on I reckon you need oil or a change. H

Comment

Its a 3rd Gen, they don't have oil pressure gauges, just a light.

Has it started taking longer, or always been the same? Maybe give it an oil change and see if it changes.

A couple of seconds isn't to much to worry about, especially ifs left overnight, but moniter it and see how it goes.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thats a bit cheap then, thought they had all the bells n whistles, at least the same still applies. H

Comment

I fit an oil pressure light to the dash with my conversions if that helps. I fit it in place of the 'water in fuel filter' light.

Comment

I checked the oil and it seems to be about 10mm over the maximum mark?
            I think it's just started to take a while to turn the light off, but to be honest, I can't remember 100%!

It doesn't come on at tickover or when I'm driving though.

But I'm a little concerned about there being to much oil in it?

Comment

Mine has started to do the exact same thing.The oil light always used to go straight out after starting the engine but now seems to stay on for a few seconds done an oil change and it has made no diffrence
              I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

mines always done this and I've had it nearly 6 years now.

Tried fitting different filters (some with anti drain and some without) made no difference.

as long as it goes out afer 3 or 4 secs and doesn't come on whilst driving as well as doing regular oil & filter changes, you should be fine

hawaii
                I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

What about it having too much oil in it? Could that cause it? Or could it damage it in some way?

Cheers,

CURLY

Comment

Mine has always done that.

Don't worry about it
                    Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

mine started doing it since i've been fitting imported filters fitted a landcruiser one and it stopped think its something to do with a lack of antidrain baffles in the imported filters 3-4 secs not really a problem if you dont rev the engine until the light goes out.
                      Last edited by buckman81; 19 July 2010, 23:47.
                      Specified

Comment

Buy OEM oil filters. They're only £12! What price peace of mind eh?
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          Buy OEM oil filters. They're only £12! What price peace of mind eh?

thats a good point well made!!

i read on the landcruiser owners club forum that the toyota filters have an anti drain valve in it so it doesn't drain the oil out, like buckman81 says.

so i'm thinking that the 4 seconds it takes to go out, is the time it takes to fill the filter up everytime.

we shall see cos i ordered an OEM one from Roughtrax today..
                          Last edited by Curly; 22 July 2010, 21:20.

Comment

Just thought I'd add to this thread.
                            2001 Surf, 2.7 16v petrol.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a41...Picture071.mp4

Comment

i have received my genuine Toyota oil filter now, but was just wondering how to fit it..

obviously it just screws on, but i have always filled the filters up with oil before screwing them on, but if i did that with the filter on my 3.0td, when i went to screw it on, all the oil would come out of it because it is fitted on the top of the engine wouldn't it?

or do i put it on dry with no oil in it?

Comment

Working...
                              X